Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond >

Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

some years back, the ballistic tips, were very tender, and they did get a bad rap, but when nosler discontinued the solid base boatail, the ballistic tips were changed, the bullet weights normaly used for big games were made to the exact specs as the solid base bullets, the varminter weights were left unchanged, so the ballistic tips we shoot deer and other game with is in fact a nosler solid base boatail with a polymer tip. so how do you know which bullet weights are built with heavier jackets? look how they're packaged, varmint weights come either 100 or 250 per box, the game weights (solidbase with a BT) are packaged 50 per box.
personaly I have shot whitetails with .284 140 BT's with impact velocity anywhere from 2100 fps, to over 3500 and have had no isses unless you hit the shoulder at 3300 fps or faster. at 3000 and less they work great.
RR
Agreed. I have often wonder if ourlarge bodieddeer are made of paper as they certainly don't "BLOW UP" BT's like I see thrown all over these internet forums[:-]!

biggamehunter,come on man you have been askingabout bullets for a while nowand still notta a sniff...really???
Have you shot anything throughthe 300wsm to see what it likes yet?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

some years back, the ballistic tips, were very tender, and they did get a bad rap, but when nosler discontinued the solid base boatail, the ballistic tips were changed, the bullet weights normaly used for big games were made to the exact specs as the solid base bullets, the varminter weights were left unchanged, so the ballistic tips we shoot deer and other game with is in fact a nosler solid base boatail with a polymer tip. so how do you know which bullet weights are built with heavier jackets? look how they're packaged, varmint weights come either 100 or 250 per box, the game weights (solidbase with a BT) are packaged 50 per box.
personaly I have shot whitetails with .284 140 BT's with impact velocity anywhere from 2100 fps, to over 3500 and have had no isses unless you hit the shoulder at 3300 fps or faster. at 3000 and less they work great.
RR
Agreed. I have often wonder if ourlarge bodieddeer are made of paper as they certainly don't "BLOW UP" BT's like I see thrown all over these internet forums[:-]!

biggamehunter,come on man you have been askingabout bullets for a while nowand still notta a sniff...really???
Have you shot anything throughthe 300wsm to see what it likes yet?

As a matter of fact I have. I've been getting 1/2 inch groups with the Ballistic Tips. I just want to hear input to make surethey will get the job done. There seems to be some longtime hunters on here - good input always helps. I've tried zeroing with the Accubond in 180's and the XP3's in 150 but they don't group nearly as well for some reason. The BT's are a bit cheaper as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody tells me they have changed them an I do believe them. But I had 2 BAD experiences in 1994 with them and will never be able to make myself use them again. Typical close range WV shots which floored both deer like a sledge hammer...cept they got up and took off never to be seen again. Both shoulder shots...these were with 165 gr 30-06.

I do have quite a good supply of the Nosler Solid Bases here now though. They do pretty daggone good on deer. So if the Ballistic tips are the same now they should be a good bullet but it would be a big leap for me to ever use one again.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Everybody tells me they have changed them an I do believe them. But I had 2 BAD experiences in 1994 with them and will never be able to make myself use them again. Typical close range WV shots which floored both deer like a sledge hammer...cept they got up and took off never to be seen again. Both shoulder shots...these were with 165 gr 30-06.

I do have quite a good supply of the Nosler Solid Bases here now though. They do pretty daggone good on deer. So if the Ballistic tips are the same now they should be a good bullet but it would be a big leap for me to ever use one again.
I had the same experience. I shot a whitetail at about 15 yards right in the shoulder with a 150 grain remington from a .30-06 It knocked the deer clear on its ass!! I gave it a few seconds then walked up to it to make sure it was dead... then the bastard jumped right up and ran off. I watched him with the Bino's in disbelief as he jumped fence after fence. I was pissed. Now I shoot a 300 WSM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

tgh, sorry but had to shake the tree to get some response from you about your experiences with the rifle/loads!

The 180gr NBT will work just fine and shooting tiny groups will give you extra confidence with a virgin rifle! I know guys who have used the 180 NBT for moose and elk in 300's, not my first choice but they worked when kept off the shoulder on the entrance side.

G/L
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

tgh, sorry but had to shake the tree to get some response from you about your experiences with the rifle/loads!

The 180gr NBT will work just fine and shooting tiny groups will give you extra confidence with a virgin rifle! I know guys who have used the 180 NBT for moose and elk in 300's, not my first choice but they worked when kept off the shoulder on the entrance side.

G/L
No problem man, I've just always used a .30-06 until now. I got a nice trigger job done and evenput a KDF muzzle break put on it. They're great and even make the rifle look alot cooler. Theyreslimline and match the barrel, not to mentionmy 300 short magnow kicks like a 243! . Did the trick very nicely with the groupings. I think picking out ammo nowdays is worse than shopping for toothpaste though! WAY too many choices. Very confusing.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 AM

I have used both in my 300 WM and my 30.06. Both performed fine on the deer I have shot but the Nosler BT were always more accurate. I won't use the Accubonds anymore just because of mediocre accuracy. The 150 gr Nosler BTis my favorite deer/antelope round.

My friend has a 300 WSM and 7mm-08 and found Accubonds to be disappointing in accuracy in both of his rifles too.

Irritates me that Winchester is dropping the Fail Safe that was a much better bullet than the Accubond, both in performance on game and accuracy.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spd522

I have used both in my 300 WM and my 30.06. Both performed fine on the deer I have shot but the Nosler BT were always more accurate. I won't use the Accubonds anymore just because of mediocre accuracy. The 150 gr Nosler BTis my favorite deer/antelope round.

My friend has a 300 WSM and 7mm-08 and found Accubonds to be disappointing in accuracy in both of his rifles too.

Irritates me that Winchester is dropping the Fail Safe that was a much better bullet than the Accubond, both in performance on game and accuracy.

My experience with the Accubond has been totally oposite as i have found them to be very accurate in everything i've shot them in and on game performance has been nothing short of excellent. The BT's have also always been accurate in any gun i've loaded them for but i too had a couple bad experiences with them in a 30.06 years ago that left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth that i've never gotten over. I'm sure the BT's i was using were the early production style that were more brittle and from what i've read and heard the newer ones are tougher. I've had such good luck with the accubonds that i've had no reason to shoot anything else.

Ishoot accubonds in all my rifles with the exception of one and that's a 30.06 which shoots Barnes 130gr TSX and the only reason i shoot those in that rifle was i wanted to shoot a lighter bullet. Not many people around here shoot BT's and the only person i know that does shootsthem in a 270 with very good results. He kills some nice deer every year and i've never once heard him say the bullet has failed to penetrate and exit. I have no doubt the BT is a good bullet because if not so many people wouldn't be using it.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge the bt's I used were in the Federal Premium ammo, I believe they were a 1994 or 1995 production. I will give them another try one of these days but I bought up a pretty good supply of the solid bases and if the bt's now are the same thing I can see why everybody likes them. The solid bases group excellent in my 7-08 and my 270 and seem to do excellent on deer.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it funny how different guns seem to shoot one type/style better than others? My experience with the Accubonds in my 7-08 was that they shot amazingly better than the Partitions (140 gr.). Until I find something better, they will be my deer load. One thing I did notice this past season with the Accubonds was I didn't get the bang/flop that I used to get with the 139 Hornadys. I'll reserve further judgement until I whack a few more with the AB's.

Quick Reply: Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.