HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Mykey
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

ORIGINAL: spd522

I have used both in my 300 WM and my 30.06. Both performed fine on the deer I have shot but the Nosler BT were always more accurate. I won't use the Accubonds anymore just because of mediocre accuracy. The 150 gr Nosler BTis my favorite deer/antelope round.

My friend has a 300 WSM and 7mm-08 and found Accubonds to be disappointing in accuracy in both of his rifles too.

Irritates me that Winchester is dropping the Fail Safe that was a much better bullet than the Accubond, both in performance on game and accuracy.

My experience with the Accubond has been totally oposite as i have found them to be very accurate in everything i've shot them in and on game performance has been nothing short of excellent. The BT's have also always been accurate in any gun i've loaded them for but i too had a couple bad experiences with them in a 30.06 years ago that left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth that i've never gotten over. I'm sure the BT's i was using were the early production style that were more brittle and from what i've read and heard the newer ones are tougher. I've had such good luck with the accubonds that i've had no reason to shoot anything else.

Ishoot accubonds in all my rifles with the exception of one and that's a 30.06 which shoots Barnes 130gr TSX and the only reason i shoot those in that rifle was i wanted to shoot a lighter bullet. Not many people around here shoot BT's and the only person i know that does shootsthem in a 270 with very good results. He kills some nice deer every year and i've never once heard him say the bullet has failed to penetrate and exit. I have no doubt the BT is a good bullet because if not so many people wouldn't be using it.