Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond >

Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

So there I was, comparing the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and Accubonds, both in 180 Grain. Couldn't find much of a difference besides slight (very slight) differences in ballsitics/weight retention etc. Other than the different colored tips they seem virtually identical. How will these 2 bullets compare up in the field?? (300 WSM)
Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

In the sales literature, ballistic tips are define by rapid expansion, and the accubonds are defined as controlled expansion. From my experience with 150 grs and over, it doesn't make much difference. I have personally had bad experiences with 130 gr ballistic tips in 270, but 140 gr accubonds have performed flawlessly. With 180 gr, I would not worry with either.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

aucontraire BG they are different in construction and design. Main difference the Ab is bonded and BT is not. The BT has a design upper ceiling limit of which Nolsersays3000fps at impact(many feel this is optimistic and should be a few 100 fps slower). The Ab has no upper velocity ceiling attached to it. The ABis design to retain 60% of its mass. Just like the nolser partiton front 1/3 is designis shed to create a larger wound channel (=more trauma) and the remaining portion is their to pentrate deep (thru bone, muscle and tissue). The BT is not really design to hold onto mass persay, in fact i have never recovered one intact (most have blown through but the few that didn't pieces were all that was left -hence the RAPID expansion design/class given to the BT bullets).

Both bullets are really built for longer range, IMO their is no need for either if you don't expect to shoot 200 or further with regularity (much better to go with a flat based bullet like the Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, etc).

AB deer and uplargerorneed pentration/retention gaurantees. BT for deer sized and understand that if you hit the shoulder at rate of speed expect some losses (bullet pentration, retention and meat)!

I like em both but migrate back to the NBT, just flat out works for my situation is cheap toreload and deadly accurate in my rifles.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM

With you Skeeter on the NBT-- Accurate as hell and has never let me down on any animal including moose withthe 225grain Whelen in my .35 Whelen.
NBT's are my go to round when sighting in for groups and checking the accuracy of a new rifle.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter- The Accubond does have a 3100fps ceiling per their web site.I have found 30cal 150gr NBT's to beway tooexplosive on game(mulies) out of my 30-06. They've just let me down too many times.I've had 5"-6" shallow wounds on a few deer. I now shoot Accubonds in my 30-06, 25-06, and my 7RMbecouse they flat penetrate. In a larger cal.the NBT'smight be much better, but I'll never use them againexcept for varmints. Brett
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Spike

I just switched to AccuBond last week because Nosler discontinued the bullet I was using. Three of my hunting friends use the AB for deer and pig and strongly recommended it to me. So far I’m very impressed with this bullet. It’s very accurate in my rifle and dropped my pig in his tracks last Friday, although I did shoot him between the eyes; a 22 LR can do that at close range but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thegamehunter

So there I was, comparing the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and Accubonds, both in 180 Grain. Couldn't find much of a difference besides slight (very slight) differences in ballsitics/weight retention etc. Other than the different colored tips they seem virtually identical. How will these 2 bullets compare up in the field?? (300 WSM)
Nosler makes them both. The Accubond is a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet in all respects EXCEPT for the fact that its' core is bonded to the jacket. This makes a big difference when the bullet hits a target! The Accubond expands but continues to penetrate deeper than the Ballistic Tip does when they strike the same spot at the same speed.

For deer-szed game, the BT should suffice. If you are going for elk or moose, though, use an Accubond.....
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot whichever shoots best out of your gun for deer sized critters, they will never know what hit 'em. If you move up to anything bigger than mule deer I'd go with the AccuBonds.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Spike

What is the difference between the Ballistic Silver Tip and the Nosler Ballistic Tip? I notice his question references the Silver Tip. I've kind of been wondering the same thing myself lately.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ballistic silvertip is a BT with a moly-type coating (I think they call it a ducolax coating or something), and a silver tip. With that coating you can expect to gain 50fps over a standard BT under ideal situations.

Quick Reply: Ballistic Tip vs. Accubond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.