Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Spaces Needed

Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default Spaces Needed

I'm thinking about getting into reloading (rifle primarily). How much spaces is needed for reloading? Do you'll generally have a dedicated spaces to reload such as a room or separate building? Other than the reloading equipment and supplies, it there other consideration, other than space and time, that I need to be concerned with?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Spaces Needed

You know you really need a sturdy bench. At least 4ft long. You need a dry place to store your gear. I myself have a room in my basement.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

When I started 20 years ago I had a two drawer filing cabinat that heald everything, but I only loaded 30-06. Primers in one drawer and 4064 in the other, rockchucker, 505 scale, and all the other goodies. Today I'm lucky to fit my gear in one room. My house catches fire run, cause it's going to the moon. Today I have dual craftsman steel benches 5 foot each, 3 shelves above it 10 foot each and I still need more room. I load 20 different cals and compete in action pistol with 9,40,357Sig, and 45 so I have 1000's of bullets, brass, primer, and four to six 8lb kegs all over not to mention rifle powder's.

You can get by with a filing cabinate but I don't recomend it, at least get a craftsman bench.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My loading bench is 4'3"x2'9", and is situated in my living room. The only set back is handloading tools, and components dominate the bench, so when I handload, ahave to relocate a lot ofstuff. Handloading manuals are stored in a 2x5'3" book shelf, and powder is stored in heavy well builtwood box with a lid in the closet.Handloading has made me outlive my space. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just moved and am in the process of setting up my new bench. This is just my rifle bench. My shotgun and casting bench are in the garage. Tom.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was living in an apartment I used a Black and Decker workmate with my press mounted on a piece of 2x6 that got clamped down. Used sand bags for weight on the cross bars to keep it steady. Folds up and stores in a closet or under the bed until your ready to load. I would suggest a seperate room to keep distractions to a minimum.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm redesigning a new reloading area in the basement. At this time I going with 30” x 72” counter top and hoping that’s big enough. I know eventually it might not be big enough but I have to start with something...
Old 01-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one room that is my hobby/storage room. That is where my reloading stuff is. There is a small maybe 24x36" desk built in with 4 drawers. I have reloading stuff all over it, and try to keep it organized, but it just keeps piling up. I also have an old high school science desk that I use for my actual reloading. It is big enough. I also have a small cheap bookshelf from Walmart that holds my powder and various books. I just get all the components from wherever they are (desk or book shelf), reload and then put everything away. This way there is no confusion, and what I have on the reloading bench itself is what I need for that session. Seems to work ok. When I get my own house, there is definately going to be a small dedicated room for guns/reloading. A good sized bench of 8 feet by 30-36" or so on one side. Drawers underneath where I don't need to sit, and a shelving unit above. Locking drawers for holding powder.