Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Hodgdon Long Shot and pistol loads? >

Hodgdon Long Shot and pistol loads?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hodgdon Long Shot and pistol loads?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hodgdon Long Shot and pistol loads?

Curious if anyone has any experience with long shot in handgun loads and how your experience was? does the stuff burn clean? I bought a can of it and I plan to use it in my 45 acp and 357 mag loads. I imagine it will work great in the 357's just not sure if I will get very good performance in the lower pressure 45 acp another concern of mine is if the stuff will burn clean in 45 loads. I was using hodgdon unique in my 45's but that stuff sure is dirty in lower pressure loads in my higher pressure loads like 357 and 9mm unique burned quite clean. any input is appreciated thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Hodgdon Long Shot and pistol loads?

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Curious if anyone has any experience with long shot in handgun loads and how your experience was? does the stuff burn clean? I bought a can of it and I plan to use it in my 45 acp and 357 mag loads. I imagine it will work great in the 357's just not sure if I will get very good performance in the lower pressure 45 acp another concern of mine is if the stuff will burn clean in 45 loads. I was using hodgdon unique in my 45's but that stuff sure is dirty in lower pressure loads in my higher pressure loads like 357 and 9mm unique burned quite clean. any input is appreciated thanks
I keep trying to decide weather to buy a can of longshot or not. But still have 2lbs of Unique left. I used 10gr of unique in my 44 since I have been reloading, and I was stopped once by the range officer thinking something was wrong with my loads. But very accurate. I too was shocked to see it so clean in 40S&W and 357Sig, and 9mm's. guess it needs that extra pressure to burn good.

I have almost settled on HS-6 for mid power loads for 44mag and very good performance in 40's, 45ACP, 38spl+P, 9mm, 357sig. Its the do it all powder. And meters very nice.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was actually trying to decide betweenHS-6 and long shot. A buddy of mine gave a little HS-6 to try I liked it alot very clean in my 45's but was a little dissatisfied with the lack of velocity with 230 grain bullets and two of my 45's the millennium pro has a 3 1/4 inch barrel which I didnt expect to get much velocity out of anyway which I was getting an average of 786 fps with a max load of hs-6 and a 230 grain winchester JHP but was hoping to atleast be over the 810 fps mark then with the other an XD-45 tactical with a 5 inch barrel I was getting and average of 821 fps with a max charge of HS-6 and a 230 grain winchester JHP. I was getting my desired velocity from unique, I dont know why but I feel a 230 grain bullet from a 5 inch barrel shoulds give atleast 840 to 850 fps anything less just inst acceptable. thats why I decided to give long shot a try according to the load data the start charge of long shot will give 848 fps from a 5 inch barrel and the max charge shows 908 fps. Its kinda weird with hodgdons powders they need a in between powder of HS-6 and Long shot which they do and its HS-7 but they dont print any data for HS-7 and 45 acp.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:58 PM
bigcountry

I understand that. Guns are funny.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

use it for my 45 LC hunting loads... appears to provide exceptional performance without having to stuff the cases full of 296 or H110...

if you do a search on google (or if you can navigate hodgdon's tricky website) you can find the relatively difficult to find Longshot load data page...