Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 reloading in small spaces >

reloading in small spaces

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading in small spaces

Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default reloading in small spaces

I started reloading last year. I bought a lee's classic handloader in 30 - 06. I am wanting to upgrade. but I have very little to no tospace work with. any ideas on what I could get? Price is an issue. I can't spend very much, under $100 for all I would need and pick it up slowly.

Has anyone used the lee's handpress. is it any good?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: reloading in small spaces

ORIGINAL: corey012778

I started reloading last year. I bought a lee's classic handloader in 30 - 06. I am wanting to upgrade. but I have very little to no tospace work with. any ideas on what I could get? Price is an issue. I can't spend very much, under $100 for all I would need and pick it up slowly.

Has anyone used the lee's handpress. is it any good?
I have a Lee handpress. It works OK for most things, but: It is HARD to completely FL resize a bottleneck case like the .30/'06 with it ndue to thge amount of force needed to get the case OUT of the FL die(partial sizing, as of 1/3 of the neck, is OK). In addition, it has no provision for recapping. I use mine mainly for seating bullets.

I think one of the HuntingtonCompac hand presses would be better.

http://www.huntingtons.com/reloadingpresses.html (Go to bottom of this page.)

Order Form

Part #
Description
Retail
89100 Compac Tool $94.98

This unit is designed with the Back Packer, Black Powder Shooter, Bench Rest Shooter, and those that require a small portable reloading tool. This unit is made with high quality aircraft aluminum and steel parts. This unit accepts any 7/8"-14 dies and standard shell holder heads. The tool works especially well with window type seating dies. The unit can be mounted on a bench. If space and portability are important to you, this is your kind of tool. Size 3-1/2" x 9".
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was not really wanting to spend all of the budget I set for reloading on just the price but I can just save a little longer and cut something out of another gun gear budget.

does anyone know of another oal tool other then hornady?
I am doing my shopping around and getting prices on stuff to refine my budget. so any help be great.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Corey - I was in the same boat as you when I moved to Florida (Thankfully, I move back to PA). My reloading space was also limited. I had a friend that worked at a cardboard box manf. and he gave me a scrap piece of what he called press board. Which to me looked like a piece of 1" plywood with a very good finish on both sides. I found it was much denser than your run of the mill plywood. This piece was 12" x 36" big. I mounted my press and powder thrower on it and clamped it to a table when I wanted to reload. When I was done reloading I just took the clamps off and took it out to the garage and put it away. I worked great for the 4 years I was down there.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I second bronk22000's idea. I mounted my cheap lee setup on a 2X6 and use large c-clamps. It works and I can put it away when I'm finished.

Mello
Old 10-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

humm, that is not a bad idea, I have my shooting table that I made that I am not really using since I found a good range not far from home. it is about 48" x 48". just a little mod. that may work. I got a little time. thanks from the help. keep them coming
Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Spike

Mounting presses, measures,trimmers, and other tools on a board and clamping to a bench is just the ticket. I have a 2'x8' bench for loading now, but I still have tools clamped to boards. If I need to clean a gun or mount a scope, all the tools can come off the bench and I have the entire area for work.
Will
Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Spike

They make stuff for this. You can find a very small bench with interchangeable tops on Midway USA. That or something like it as you are discussing above would work well.

I use a Lee hand press. Never had a problem with it for anything. All my stuff goes in plastic totes and fits on a closet shelf.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have reason I was wanting to go with lee hand press

price, I can't really affored much right now
space, I need something that won't take much room
nosie, with the lee classic, the hammering for the sizer and decapping bothers my wife.

I think that if I stick with my fired cases and maybe new ones I should be fine. (hopefully).

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then get the hand press, and the lee case length sizer and cutter for the caliber that you are going to load and go to town. Another option to look at though if you are on a budget that will come with pretty much everything that you need to get started equipment wise is the Lee Anniversary kit. Just bolt it to a board and C clamp it to your table. Problem solved. The hand press would be cool for pistol cases and such, but trying to size and decap rifle rounds would be a pain in the arse I can imagine.

Quick Reply: reloading in small spaces

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.