Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Horn. Interbonds >

Horn. Interbonds

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Horn. Interbonds

Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
BFR
Spike

Default Horn. Interbonds

Does anyone have experience with Hornady Interbonds?I shoot a lot at a public range so I cannot recover my bullets. I'm shooting a 338 for Elk. Hornady's have always been a great bullet in my experience and they are priced reasonably.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Horn. Interbonds

I tried to get 165 gr. IB'sto group out of my 30.06 Sprg., but had no luck. You may have better luck than I. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a box when they first got introduced in our gun supply store...I They grouped o.k...
But that was just with 1 powder combo and primer combo....
I'm sure if you experiment a little you'll get the results you want from them.....
I love the price and and the Bullistic Coefficent is quite impressive,I think they will perform as well as any other bonded bullet on the market...
I have yet to try them on big game though but don't expect them to penetrate near as deep as the TSX or TBBC on big game such as moose or elk..That being said though,the bullet will have enough weight retention to bring one down...
OH, I for got your shooting a .338......
You'll have no problem bring anything down with that cal and these bullets expect to see an
exit hole...

Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM

I tried them in .30 caliber and .270 caliber a couple years ago - couldn't get them to group well enough to even try them on game. The Accubond is probably your best bet in a bonded bullet. Actually, the Swift Scirocco has the best terminal performance IMO - if your gun will shoot them. I'm talking here about the original Scirocco, not the new Scirocco 2 - which has a lot more penetration and a less expansion.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others when they first were introduced I tried but had no luck getting them to shoot really well. I then tried accubonds and they were very easy to find a accurate load. In fact my experience with the accubond is much like the BT, pretty hard to find a rifle that doesn't shoot them good!

However I was given a partial box this spring of the IB's and had some success Not sure if they made changes or what, as it was the same rifle(7 rem mag) and 154gr version. I haven't used them on game and probably won't as I have had good success with TSX and Accubonds on the larger animals/range.

They may work dandy for you though so worth a try.Should do fine in the 338wm on elk!

Good Luck
Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 AM

I use the Hornady IB 150gr for my 30-06 and they group pretty good. I am using H414 at 60gr and they are going 3000fps at the muzzle.
I get about 1inch group with them (3shots). I likehow thesebullets perform on deer.

I have shot 2 deer with these and they really did a # on both. First deer was at 280 yards and it blew the lungs totally apart and the deer when no more than 15feet. the bullet was in the hide on the exit side and it weighted 132grs when I cleaned it up and mushroomed really well. The bullet broke 2 ribs on entry and 3 on exit. I have a picture of the entry / exit wound somewhere....If i find it I will post it.

2nd deer was at about 20 yards and well it went straight down as I shot it in the back of the head.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I recently loaded some 139gr Interbonds for my .280 Rem. I used 55gr of Rel 19 powder, Rem. cases and CCI 200 LR primers. The load grouped pretty well for starters(1.125"). I did seat my bullets for a C.O.L. of 3.345" which is longer than what they show as a industry standard. I believe the long thin design of the bullet will require to be seated out a little further for best accuracy in most rifles. I recently harvested two pronghorn with the Interbonds and bullet performance was great. I shot a large buck quartering to me at 150yds, the bullet entered just forward of the shoulder and exited through the rear quarter, no extreme damage just nice hole all the way through. I also shot a mature doe broadside at 218 yds, shot her low through front shoulders the bullet exited and the doe expired immediately upon impact. I plan to testbullet performance further on a couple whitetail does next month.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 165 gr. in my Pre 64 Model 70 .30-06. I've had no problem at all with accuracy using a max load of H4350. Haven't used it on game yet, but hope to remedy that situation in about a month and a half.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM

I shot the 180gr Interbonds out of my .30-06. They shot fairly well. This rifle has never been known to shoot much less than an inch-and-a-half, anyway, and the Interbonds shot about that well with IMR 4350.

The bullets were just as explosive on game as Ballistic Tips. This surprised me a little. I thought they would be a tougher bullet and open more slowly. They certainly did the job.

I did recover one bullet from a black bear. It was a perfect mushroom, and the jacket was very secure on the core. I didn't weigh the bullet, but I will.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Just took an antelope with the 165's on monday and it worked beautifully! About a 3 inch exit through the ribs. Went right to antelope heaven. Didnt fragment at all and I couldnt find the bullet. EJ