Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Recalled lee dies >

Recalled lee dies

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Recalled lee dies

Old 10-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recalled lee dies

So I found out my set of Lee 223 rem dies are recalled because they cause excessive head space. here just read the recall notice below

Lee Precision, Inc. has issued the following warning regarding its .223 Remington full-length resizing die.

"A quantity of dies have left our factory that can cause excess head space if adjusted to firmly contact the shell holder. Only the .223 Remington full-length resizing die with date code stamp C4 are affected. These dies were shipped from April to June of 2004. The date code is found on the head of the die [following the "E-223" stamped above the threaded portiion of the die]. Please return the affected die to Lee Precision, Inc. for a replacement at no charge.
This die is dimensioned like another brand's die and can be safely used if it is backed away from the shell holder 1/4 of a turn. If the breach [sic] mechanism closes with difficulty, the die is adjusted downward toward the shell holder a partion of a turn and the case again resized. This procedure is to be repeated until the breach [sic] mechanism will just freely close on the resized case. For safety and maximum convenience, return the C4 die for replacement."

If you have any questions [like, "Who pays return shipping?"], please call Lee Precision, Inc., 4275 Highway U, Hartford, WI 53027. Tel: 262-673-3075 or e-mail [email protected].

Anyway I ve already loaded with these dies the rounds shot fine from my rifle no problems but then I got to measuring the case dimensions and determined the case shoulders after resizing are back .001" further then they should be. Can .001" make that much of difference? perhaps I shoulnt question it and just send the dies in for a refund.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:27 PM
DM

Default RE: Recalled lee dies

"A quantity of dies have left our factory that can cause excess head space if adjusted to firmly contact the shell holder.
"If" you ajust the dies "properly" for YOUR rifle (as you always should) there won't be any headspace problems with THOSE dies!

Resize your first case with the FL sizer die, turned "out" a couple turns from the shell holder.... Try the case in YOUR rifle and see if it chambers easily... If it does, back the die out 1/2 turn and try another case... You want to start with a "resized" case that the bolt (auto or otherwise) won't close easily on the case...

Once you get to that point, turn the die in 1/2 turn and size the case again... You do this untill the bolt just nicely closes on the sized case... Once you get to that point, "lock" the lock ring on the die in place and you have "that" die "properly" ajusted for "that" guns chamber....

They are recalling the die sets because they are afraid the owners won't"ajust" the FL sizer die "properly"... And now "you" know how to do it so there's NO problem...

DM