Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Interbonds versus Scirrocos >

Interbonds versus Scirrocos

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Interbonds versus Scirrocos

Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Spike

Default Interbonds versus Scirrocos

I know this has probably been posted to death but here we go. First of all the 180 gr. Swift bullets have driven me crazy in my 300 RUM. With my max COL of 3.600 the ogive is just way too far back to shoot in my gun. The 180 Barnes TSX shoots fine, presumably because of the ogive being closer to the lands. I am a little worried about the expansion of the TSX on long shots. I took a cow elk a few years back with the Scirroco at 400 yards and the performance was great but I feel lucky to have hit her.

The Interbonds are going to be a little closer to the lands of the barrel and I expect them shoot okay. Question is what about the performance of these bullets on elk size game. Any experiences or similar problems with accuracy?
Am I worrying over nothing because the TSX will do fine at long range?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interbonds versus Scirrocos

The barnes are actually designed to properly expand over a wider range of velocity than any other bullet...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Theres .020 difference between the Swift and Barnes.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: crimedog

Theres .020 difference between the Swift and Barnes.

Actually when both are loaded to the identical 3.600 OAL the Barnes is much closer to the lands (.10) because of ogive configuration and lack of plastic tip. Measured with bullet comparator.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

My partner has taken a spike and raghorn elk with the IB. Both cases produced pass thrus with good wound channels, though shots were 250 or less. I have used the TSX on 4 elk and 2 moose thus far, I love the bullets performance on bigger game. I have yet to fire a shot intoeither at much longer then 200 yards with them.

I will say after working with my partners rifle I deceided towork withthe IB's formyself this year on the range and was very impressed, though it took a little effort I developed one of the best loads for my rifle using the IB. In my case the accuracy past 300 yards is superior with the IB to that of the TSX. The only thing I took with the 154gr IB load was a mulie doe at over 400, it produced a pass thru and DRT result.