Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Precision and Long Range Shooting
1 mile whitetail rifle almost complete >

1 mile whitetail rifle almost complete

Precision and Long Range Shooting Living the Long Range Precision Life: gear, rifles, reloading, tricks, and tips.

1 mile whitetail rifle almost complete

Old 10-08-2023, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Will you be hunting with it this year RR?

-Jake
doubt it, will take more time than I have for load development hopefully next season.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Looking forward to that day!
Old 10-20-2023, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might have to find a place where I can get to a mile to hunt. I have a "big gun" which should be finishing in December, meant for Extreme Long Range competition, but given the right location, I'd hunt it to a mile... I'd just have to think really hard about where.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

HNI meet up at RRs house.

I've got anything inside of 75 yards lol

-Jake
Old 11-05-2023, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use to have access to 1 mile hunting spots, but man they are hard to find, found a spot that is 2200+ but there is 5 landowners to shoot over. and god only knows if the deer will co-operate.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Use to have access to 1 mile hunting spots, but man they are hard to find, found a spot that is 2200+ but there is 5 landowners to shoot over. and god only knows if the deer will co-operate.
This whole process is mind blowing lol.

You need property you can shoot from. With a view to property you can shoot to and recover on.

While safely avoiding other properties. The wind would be different throughout the flight of the bullet.

Crazy.

I'm looking forward to seeing you be successful!
Old 11-05-2023, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

get your stuff right and practice, practice, practice. been working with a 6" plate at 800 yards. as I work the kinks out of my trajectory will move to a 10" plate at 1k. when I feel confidant hitting a 20" plate at a mile, then will consider trying it on a live animal. As of now the hard part is finding 300 gr Berger bullets and enough primers to keep going.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I don't think it's ever "easy," but where you are in the country definitely makes a difference on how to make long range, and especially extreme long range shots happen - and especially extreme long range hunting shots. For example, it's kind of counter-intuitive, but much of Kansas is too flat to really allow 1,000yrd shots - a small crown in the land or a row of trees can completely obscure what would otherwise be a 5 mile horizon. And we don't have enough elevation variation to freely pick high elevation firing positions looking down into good hunting land. I've made a lot of 800yrd coyote shots, and have taken deer out to 750yrds, but it takes a lot of doing. I have a property where I can regularly shoot to 1200 and another where I can shoot to about 1.5miles, but it's all open pasture, shooting from a ridge. Sure, deer DO travel through there, but it's pretty rare, and the odds of being there during our rifle season when our weather is actually cold and deer stay closer to cover - especially after shots start flying - is pretty fruitless. But we're not quite so stuck with small parcels of land - if I want to shoot a mile, if I can find a spot with the sightlines, it usually only involves one or two land owners, rather than 4 or 5. Just a nature of midwest and western farm sizes compared to those in the East.
Old 11-11-2023, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

just purchased a kestrel 5700 elite, will actually set the shot up for me. it figures wind direction and speed, atmosphere, spin drift, coriolis, and drop. all while bluetoothed to my geopro. As long as I get everything calibrated correctly. kinda feels like cheating.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
just purchased a kestrel 5700 elite, will actually set the shot up for me. it figures wind direction and speed, atmosphere, spin drift, coriolis, and drop. all while bluetoothed to my geopro. As long as I get everything calibrated correctly. kinda feels like cheating.
That's what we all do for PRS and ELR matches. I use a Kestrel for wind and environmentals, then use a phone based app for my ballistic solutions, but I have the profiles built on my Kestrel also, and confirm my data against my Kestrel for some PRS stages, and ALL of my ELR shots.

To me, it makes sense, especially for hunting: The hunt and the shot are the hard part. Doing extra math or extra data lookup (I used to build DOPE books - Data On Previous Engagements with multiple environmental conditions to allow interpolation of new conditions) in the field just costs precious time and increases the likelihood of condition changes before we make the shot. Measure the environmentals, measure the wind, correct the wind based on field observations, punch the engine, dial the result, bang!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.