HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1 mile whitetail rifle almost complete
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I don't think it's ever "easy," but where you are in the country definitely makes a difference on how to make long range, and especially extreme long range shots happen - and especially extreme long range hunting shots. For example, it's kind of counter-intuitive, but much of Kansas is too flat to really allow 1,000yrd shots - a small crown in the land or a row of trees can completely obscure what would otherwise be a 5 mile horizon. And we don't have enough elevation variation to freely pick high elevation firing positions looking down into good hunting land. I've made a lot of 800yrd coyote shots, and have taken deer out to 750yrds, but it takes a lot of doing. I have a property where I can regularly shoot to 1200 and another where I can shoot to about 1.5miles, but it's all open pasture, shooting from a ridge. Sure, deer DO travel through there, but it's pretty rare, and the odds of being there during our rifle season when our weather is actually cold and deer stay closer to cover - especially after shots start flying - is pretty fruitless. But we're not quite so stuck with small parcels of land - if I want to shoot a mile, if I can find a spot with the sightlines, it usually only involves one or two land owners, rather than 4 or 5. Just a nature of midwest and western farm sizes compared to those in the East.