HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1 mile whitetail rifle almost complete
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2023, 01:27 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
just purchased a kestrel 5700 elite, will actually set the shot up for me. it figures wind direction and speed, atmosphere, spin drift, coriolis, and drop. all while bluetoothed to my geopro. As long as I get everything calibrated correctly. kinda feels like cheating.
That's what we all do for PRS and ELR matches. I use a Kestrel for wind and environmentals, then use a phone based app for my ballistic solutions, but I have the profiles built on my Kestrel also, and confirm my data against my Kestrel for some PRS stages, and ALL of my ELR shots.

To me, it makes sense, especially for hunting: The hunt and the shot are the hard part. Doing extra math or extra data lookup (I used to build DOPE books - Data On Previous Engagements with multiple environmental conditions to allow interpolation of new conditions) in the field just costs precious time and increases the likelihood of condition changes before we make the shot. Measure the environmentals, measure the wind, correct the wind based on field observations, punch the engine, dial the result, bang!