Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Crossbow Users...

Old 08-27-2003, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Crossbow Users...

if the feds class as archery equipment then why cant you shoot ducks with a crossbow but you can with a compound long bow..... after all it is archery equipment isnt it ???
Old 08-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Spike

I see a typical response to a debate that was showing facts and truths. Its too bad you had to erase all your previous posts so anyone could make the call themselves as to if it was just your opinion that you were trying to share. The term " Forum" - An assembly for free discussion of public affairs.
By your actions of removing your posts and writing what you wrote, you are in essence saying that anyone else can' t disagree with you. As for your comments on the " Part line" or " crossbow god" you are showing me that you have thin skin and need to do some growing so you can defend your words or actions.

Bgunner - if my compound bow has a greater let off than is allowed and is set for less pounds than is allowed to hunt with is it still archery equipment?
Be careful on your answer as you can' t sit on both sides of the fence. Also if your allowed to shoot a duck with a crossbow in NewZealand is it archery equipment there? is so why not here? Is that all it takes to be a true piece of archery equipment to be able to shoot a duck?

A better question to ask and i am suprised i missed it before but why would any decent morale and ethically thinking hunter want to take such a low percentage type shot on a duck or goose anyway?
Old 08-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where can I find a link that says it' s legal to shoot ducks with a bow?

Dan O.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:44 PM

here you go it is the first paragah ENJOY

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/M-7.01/...tml#rid-144072
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bgunner; I have a feeling that the longbow statement was on the books for a long time and no one has lobbied to add crossbows. I also didn' t know that you couldn' t hunt migratory birds with a single shot shotgun. But; you can hunt one with any gauge as long as it' s not larger than 10? Geese with a .410?

Dan O.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Spike

So i guess a compound bow is out as well since there is such a thing as a long bow, it does specify " long bow" . This is one of those things that is within the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law i am sure, but it sure could cost you a few bucks in court proving it. Still waiting on some kind of response to why anyone would want to take that kind of shot though.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

lazyarcher; it' s as clear as mud. You' re probably right but why is a single arrow from a bow allowed but not a rifle (except in northern Quebec)?

Dan O.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Spike

Here is a post from another forum that spells out what i have been trying to say.
Thanks to ruffitt from Sparta.

Well it appears that many here have taken the hook, line and sinker that the people who oppose crossbows as a hunting weapon so fervently throw out. I am not going to belittle crossbow opponents and call them " anti(s)" , I will just say they are crossbow opponents.

Granted, a crossbow can shoot 40 - 60 - even 100 yards. In fact they can shoot farther than that. BUT, in all reality, they are a much shorter range weapon than what is imagined. Realistically, they are more of a 25 - 35 yard range weapon. Shots at extended ranges are the exception, not the rule. And they are definitely not a 100 yard weapon.

I can keep the bolts in a 3 - 4 inch circle at 50 yards from my Excalibur Exomag; but would I take a shot at a game animal at that distance? No way!!! Too much chance of something going wrong to affect the shot. And I am not one to go about just flinging my bolts in an attempt to score a lethal hit.

All the " hype" about crossbows is just that; hype. Unfortunately, it is the misinformation regarding crossbows that gets bow hunters in a tether which condemns the crossbow as a viable hunting tool.

By misinformation, I mean the hype that a crossbow can shoot farther and faster than a hand held bow. It is true that a crossbow can shoot faster (and probably farther) than a traditional or recurve bow; but when comparing the abilities of a crossbow against a compound the point is mute. In fact, there are some compounds out there that will outperform, or are at least equal to, the speed and distance of a crossbow. Other hype is that all the rifle hunters will immediately rush out and buy crossbows which will soon disseminate the game animal herds. They are afraid that one of these crossbow hunters will encroach their woods/fields and shoot their animal(s). This is only speculation on the part of those individuals who do not wish to share the woods/fields and game with other hunters.

Many of the crossbow opponents go so far as to demonize it by calling it a " crossgun" . They try to rationalize it by saying that it looks like a gun, has a stock and trigger like a gun, and is mounted like a gun; therefore it must be a gun. This is a pathetic excuse to rationalize the difference between a hand held bow and a crossbow. The word alone describes it as a " bow" .

Some will argue that a crossbow isn' t " archery" equipment. Again, hype put forth to discredit or demean the crossbow. It must be recognized as archery equipment or many of the major archery manufacturers wouldn' t be making them, or they would be taken out of the archery section of sporting goods stores and placed in the gun section.

Many will say that because it " resembles" a gun it should be used during the firearms season. Another attempt by opponents to demonize and categorize the crossbow. It is archery equipment by definition, and should be allowed in the archery season

Others will argue that the gurus of game animal records, Pope & Young, will not allow game taken with a crossbow into their record books. This is true, but on the other hand, they will not allow animals taken with a compound bow with over 65% let off into their books. They claim that using a compound with over 65% let off is like using a hand held crossbow. Can' t blame them for this definition, it' s their book and they can write their definitions any way they see fit.

I believe that the biggest amount of hype is laid upon the crossbow pertaining to it' s physical configuration. That being that it is pre-loaded (as in " cocked & locked" ) has a stock, a trigger, and is shoulder mounted at the time of the shot. So? ----- compare that to a 70 - 80% let off compound using a release and what is the difference? The only difference is one is held in a vertical, or canted (at the shooters discretion) position while the other is held in a horizontal position. No appreciable benefit by either piece of equipment other than shooting position at the time of release.

There have been many debates over time regarding the use of the crossbow versus the hand held bow as a hunting weapon. Both camps have their reason for inclusion/exclusion of the crossbow. Which one is right, or which one is wrong I do not know. It is just too bad that a chasm is widening in the hunting fraternity that could have all of us on the sidelines someday when the animal rights freedom (ARFs)folks have seen our squabbling and used it to their advantage to put a stop to all forms of archery hunting.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:51 PM

See now you prove my point. I have heard and even had to help recover deer that were shot by ignorant people who believed the 100 yard stories and still can walk into Gagnon`s or Quinte Sports tomorrow and hear the stories about the 65 yard shot that someone made last year. That was the whole point that I tried to express. When someone picks up a crossbow they must learn to bowhunt, it is not a rifle or even a shotgun. Distances are significantly shortened and even little twigs matter. Most (not all) compound and traditional shooters know this but the level of ignorance and misinformation that I hear and any honest person who has spent anytime around other hunters also hears about crossbows boggles my mind. To say that it doesn`t happen does a far greater disservice to hunting than expressing the opinion that it needs to be fixed. Maybe a mandatory bowhunting course, better yet set-up and make everyone qualify with their weapon of choice(lots of rifle hunters would be in trouble). I will one last time repeat that I have nothing against crossbows, I have a bone to pick with the jerks that head into the woods looking to " Stick one" an actual quote from a man hunting moose in Northern Ontario. Seems he had stuck a few but never managed to kill one yet, that crap makes me want to kick the s--- out of someone.

Quick Reply: Crossbow Users...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.