Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Crossbow Users...

Old 08-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Users...

Try turkey hunting with a bow and tell me there the same. Hell, even I turkey hunt with a crossbow because of the problem of having to draw undetected.
Do what alot of compound shooters do ............ Purchase a pop-up blind

Turk_man it is like I said, some benifits of the crossbow will better suit a certain situation just like some benifites of the compound would better in other situations. The arguement of not having to draw while the game is near does not wash in todays high let-off compounds. Also with the comercial markets out there, they are developing iteams (full building blinds, pop-ups ect.) which eliminates that aarguement as well. Heck if you miss a turkey with the compound, you could get a second shot away quicker and easier than with the crossbow. BTW most of the comercial pop-up blinds are not favourable to crossbows as crossbows need a horizontal shooting space (for limb movement) while they are made for vertical bows which require vertical space to shoot

I as well as many others on here could go on all day, maybe all month, pointing out the advantages & disadvantages of both bows. In the end it would show that the advantages are generally equal, although different but some will suit a certain situation better than others.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grumpy Tom; Have you ever slapped a branch with a crossbow when you fire. It isn' t pretty when you' re in a tree stand.

Dan O.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in alberta you can use a crossbow during the archery season if you have a medical reason.Otherwise you must hunt during the regular rifle season with your crossbow.I think this system is fair to everyone.If you are able to use a regular bow and want to hunt the archery season you can spend the time to learn to use a regular bow.If you are handicapped and can' t use a regular bow you can still hunt the archery season.If you are healthy and want to use a crossbow you can just not in the archery season.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:51 AM

My son was 15 last year and physically He couldn' t draw a compound with enough weight to take out a moose! (unless he was brushing hides with the moose) So we opted to get him a Xbow. He has done very well with the Xbow and also has the strength now to draw a Compound. It' s his choice! If he wants to stay with the Xbow I' m 100% for it, but if OR When he chooses to go to the compound again I' ll be just as glad that he took up a sport that I enjoy

AM I wrong for putting him on the Xbow? I don' t think it made him any less of an ARCHER! And that he is
AL
Old 08-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Turk does make a legitimate point, that being a lot of xbows were bought by hunters that were not interested in learning the sport of archery, just wanted to get into the extra long deer season
Lazyarcher do you think that taking the choice of the crossbows away from these people that it will keep them out of the woods. Your wrong if you do think that way. I used to see this happen all the time when the archery first started in Ontario. People just bought a bow (usually a compound) and then went out hunting within the week. This was usually after the gun season which they were not successful in and still needed to fill their tags.

I have also talked to people in States that do not allow crossbows as a choice for a hunting tool, and they tell me that they have people that still do the same thing there. Those people are not restricted to the crossbows, but have the choice to any bow.

You are right in saying that archery is different, but weither you use a longbow, recurve, compound or crossbows it does not change archery other then your choice of hunting tool.

Grumpy Tom; Have you ever slapped a branch with a crossbow when you fire. It isn' t pretty when you' re in a tree stand.

Dan O.
Dan no I have not, but I have seen a shoulder from someone that has. Your right it was not pretty. Having your limb strike a solid branch can seriously hurt the shooter. This is a large problem in setups for the crossbows (the need for horizontal shooting space) which vertical bows do not have.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

I see this as what one person thinks is ethical verses what another person thinks, ie: does anybody here fish trout using bait (worms, roe bags, etc. ) ...... egads you must not be true fisherman because only true fishermen would use fly rods and flies for trout.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:32 AM
Spike

Before any person tells me what is and what isn' t i check the laws of the land. In Ontario crossbow hunting happens in bow season, then by the letter of the law i am a bow hunter if i use a crossbow. Ethics are meant to be taught to your kids or kept to yourself as we all have our own different beliefs. I agree with seadog about the fly fishing arguement (only that there could be an ethical arguement).
How dare any person tell me what i can legally use as a tool to hunt with. Many discussions can be had about the choice of guns as well, maybe the calibre is too big, they should be all single shots, no scopes ect...
If a .223 is the smallest calibre to be used for deer in Ontario why is it legal for us to use bigger? I mean its all in shot placement isn' t it?

Old 08-23-2003, 07:33 AM

Quick Reply: Crossbow Users...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.