Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Crossbow Users...

Old 09-10-2003, 09:07 PM

Default RE: Crossbow Users...

Hitting the target at 47 yards isn' t the same as being able to hunt at that range. I have run into a lot of shooters over the years (and I' m not saying this of anyone I haven' t met here on the board) who act as though the best couple of groups they ever shot were what they could always do.

I remember running into a guy who had the same 222 I had, and he asked me what kind of groups I got. I had logged every group ever shot, with every load, regardless of weather, and all fliers (not many from a rest during load development, but still). I gave him the data that was somewhere around 1 moa with 5 shot groups at 100 yds, but was tightening once I found H322. The guy tells me how crappy that is, he was shooting 3/16" groups, three shots. So naturaly that' s what he is counting on. That was at the time better than the world record bench rest 5 shot group!, which was in the .2 range. I' m not saying he didn' t get those groups, I' ve seen them too, but they can' t be counted on, they are just a fluke. I' m just pointing out a mindset thing. A 10" target at 47 yards is 100 times larger than .2 moa, and certainly quite doable. If I know the distance, I can regularly hit the X ring out there with my compound, which depending on the animal is golfball sized, but more often puck sized on the easy course I seem to get on. I consider that way out there though.

But anyway, that' s just target practice the real problems are range, noise, wind, and animal initiated movement. At 47 yards, hopefuly we don' t have to worry much about noise. I must say, I can' t think of any time when I have been offered a 47 yd prone shot at a deer. I really should cut that hay back. And of course how well you group those broadheads. If your not practising with broadheads, then at least with an LB you have no idea what is really going to happen. I have one bow that I shoot with nothing but BHs, so it' s always just right.

I think crossbows are definetly archery; not " bowhunting" ; next most challenging thing though.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Good points Ossage and I completely understand how target practicing and actual field fire differ...It was the first time I had even shot the xbow from that far, I was amazed at the speed of travel...I am hoping to get my chance up closer this year...
My comfort range is 20-30 yards, no worries kind of shot...came close to a buck last year or I should say he came close to me, he snuck up behind me and gave me a big snort when he spotted me...didn' t even know he was there...

Are you from Ontario? If so, do you know if xbow hunting is permitted under the archery hunting season as well? I do like to wander a bit in the bush and sit and wait and be patient then track some more...I can only walk for so long, then I can only sit for so long...the tree stand thing is not my thing, guess I' m getting old...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

Carpie, go for it and have fun; good luck