Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Crossbows - who wants them gone? >

Crossbows - who wants them gone?

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Crossbows - who wants them gone?

Old 07-20-2003, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbows - who wants them gone?

In Manitoba you cannot hunt with a crossbow during archery season but it can be used during muzzleloader deer season or rifle season. I see no benefit in using a crossbow under these conditions but I’m not opposed in using a crossbow if so desired. Using a crossbow is more challenging no doubt but hunting with compound bow is the ultimate. I know some might say why don’t I like a good challenge using a crossbow, well I like using the best tool for the job that is permitted.ˇ¿
Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I' ll put in my vote in favor of crossbows. There are many people out there who are not disabled in the " legal" sense but who have chronic shoulder injuries (such as rotator cuff tears) or old wrist injuries which make conventional bowhunting impossible. One quick slip on the ice could put anyone of us into this situation. I' d hate to get kicked out of the bowhunting fraternity because of it.
Besides, is anyone worried that crossbow hunters are going to shoot all the deer?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:02 PM

i agree with turk man. i do not know about anywhere else but in quebec you must take a 8 hour class, pass a written test and a pratical test where you must shoot at 3d targets to prove competency to get a card which you need to buy a bow licence. but not with a rifle or crossbow. the result is the yahoo(a friend of mine) that pick up there 300mag or what have you, which have not been touched since the year before throw a shell in the chamber and take shots at 200 plus yards and be suprised when they miss or worse wound the animal and not recover it. the 300 mag may not be the problem, its the guy squeezing the trigger.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya may find another place very soon , as Ontario has been tring to pass it here aswell. Another money goat, and beleive me watch the OFAH on this one....BT
Old 07-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does the OFAH get these money makers? They couldn' t get spring bear hunting but they seem to have a monopoly in other ways.

Ducks Unlimited seems to get the same treatment federally.

Dan O.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:55 PM

As much as I bitch about the uneducated bowhunters, I hope that any course they bring in is not run by the OFAH.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:17 AM
DL2

Ok I have a few questions.

Do we need a bowhunting course in Ontario or Canada?

If one is devised, who would you rather have oversee it' s implementation, the OFAH, or the MNR ?

Do you think non-residents need to complete this course, or prove a course was taken?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:29 PM

now that you brought up the ofah dan o have you ever herd of give a little get a little ......the ofah gave the spring bear hunt up and got the turkey course and even the huter education courses .... keeping all the Xmnr people in part time jobs..... ps dont get me started on the ofah i have taken flack from other web sites for doing so
Old 07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

bgunner; the OFAH has done some good, but they appear to monopolize the ear of the government except when it counts on major issues.

From your points I see where John Q. Public gave but never where he received.

Dan O.