Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Alberta draws??

Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Alberta draws??

Hi, there. I plan on starting to build up some preference points for elk with 999. Just studied the Alberta draw boocklet and have a few questions:

1. Looks like WMU-s 404, 406, 408, etc, the ones which only allow 6 point bull are the best bet for a decent rack. Is that true?

2. How many years you think I need? How many preference points for an elk tag there?

3. What is the land property situation in those WMU-s? Public or private?

4. How about mule deer and white-tails in the same areas? How many preference poits for one of those (antlered)?

5. Should I get first a deer tag, go hunt the area and learn what to expect for an elk hunt a few years later?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alberta draws??

First question is where are you from? Second question is how long are you prepared to wait?

If you are a non-canadian, look for a licensedoutfitter as you are not eligable for the draws and must be accompanied by either a licensed guide or hunter host. Outfitters receive an allocation of tags for their specific zones so if you book a hunt the tag is alreadyavailable for you. However, you could hunt big game in theareas that do not require a draw with a hunter host (Alberta Resident). .

If you are a canadian resident or an alberta resident be prepared to wait a few years. I can't help you on the zones you asked about but there are general seasons (non draw) in many WMUs in Alberta.

Your best bet is to follow this link to an online version of the regs. Unless you know someone who is a resident, your best bet is to start looking for an outfitter:

www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/

Old 02-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Spike

Thanks for the answer.
I am a non resident Canadian and I do have a hunter friend in Calgary as host.
How long to wait? I don't know, 7 years, 10 years if need be?

I know there are general tags, but then what is the need for special draws if not to give a better chance?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM

fran. I think the idea behind a draw in most areas is to allow for a controlled number of animals to be harvested. There is a population large enough to allow for some hunting but not enough animals for a general season. At one time point restrictions were the rule but since we've moved to a draw system the quality of bucks / bulls has went way up. Here's a site with info on the draws and priority (# of years) needed to draw a tag.
http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fw/hunting/2006Drawsreport.html
Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Spike

Thanks Cowboy Al. That's a great site. As for the draws, I may be wrong, but if there is enough animals for a general hunt in the rest of the areas, why bother put for a draw anyway. I think the draw areas offer much more opportunity for bigger antlers by restricting the number of animals taken. Especially in those areas with 6 point rule. Frank
Old 12-18-2023, 09:44 PM
Spike

Hey! When it comes to building preference points for elk in Alberta, targeting WMUs like 404, 406, 408, which limit hunts to 6-point bulls, can increase your chances of bagging a decent rack. As for the number of years and preference points needed, it varies, so it's best to consult the Alberta draw booklet for specific information. In terms of land ownership, you'll find a mix of public and private properties in those WMUs. If you're also interested in mule deer and white-tails, check the preference points required for antlered hunts. As for starting with a deer tag to scout the area before an elk hunt, it can be a smart strategy to gain valuable insights and plan for future success. Good luck!