Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone shoot with over draws? >

Anyone shoot with over draws?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone shoot with over draws?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Anyone shoot with over draws?

I tried it when they first came out.What a nightmare I have to say. I had to change my broadheads and still couldn't get the the bow tuned right. I went back to standard arrows and threw the over draw in the garage where it remains hidden to this day. I think they was alot of hype really. You had to change your arrow weight and broad heads.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone shoot with over draws?

Overdraws are thing of the past with the advent of todays modern carbon arrows and high energy bows.
It was nothing more than a quick fixthat made up for a lack of technology at the time for the guys who wanted higher arrow velocity. We all shot them who went through that time period.

Tuning nightmare I agree and a nostalgic reminder of days gone by........so keep it in the garage or donate it to the Smithsonian.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM

ahhh the good ole days! A Spoiler with an overdraw and a fletchhunter concho slinging thunderheads! I still have the concho.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Goin way back huh?

My first bow sight was the painted metal pins...fiber optics? What the heck is that? That'll never catch on...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

Goin way back huh?

My first bow sight was the painted metal pins...fiber optics? What the heck is that? That'll never catch on...

Yep - I still have mine, a PSE Polaris with painted metal pins - wow, that does take me back!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM

I use to have an eagle bow I believe it was called.It was a revurve compound ted nugent bow. Then I went to a mathews solo cam ultra light 10 years ago.
Used it one year and popped the string off and it sat in the closet until just recent.My wrist wasn't strong enough to hold the string straight when I let off pressure. The string popped off and the limb cracked me in the head when it came off at the same time.LMFAO. Now I have a stronger wrist and can pull back 80 pound plus quite easy and release pressurequite easy without a problem also. I just broke this bow out and taking it to the shop for them to put the string back on. I will be ditching the easton aluminum arrows and getting a half dozen of carbons today also. 10 years don't seem like a long time for technology to change so fast.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

My PSE FireFlite from the early 90's still has the painted metal sight pins and an overdraw. Still shoots great as well. I don't hunt with it anymore but keep it around for keeping my muscles in shape. It has 100lb limbs but is cranked down to around 89lbs right now.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Aw yea, now were talking old school! I had that myself, took my first buck with it in '93. Funny though, how back then, a $240 Spoiler was one of the top of line hunting bows. My how things have changed.....but yet I love it more every year.

ORIGINAL: WCWade

ahhh the good ole days! A Spoiler with an overdraw and a fletchhunter concho slinging thunderheads! I still have the concho.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Most current full containment and drop away rests are overdraw rests to a certain extent. If the rest mounts behind your shelf it is an overdraw. Couple that with the large amount of reflex built into most newer bows and you are pretty shooting what an overdraw would have been 10 or 15 years ago. Bows have gotten faster, but not really more forgiving. Speed comes at a price.

Your right though, they are not as consistent but they can be shot well with good form, just not as forgiving.

Paul
Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite rig to see these days is one of the older wheel cam bows that center shoots about 1/8" off the riser.... someone will either have an overdraw or a plunger style rest on it, and decide its time for a whisker buscuit or something like that. Of course the WB won't slide over enough to center shoot the bow correctly, or else something will be in the way... so what is the answer.... mount the WB on the backside (target side) of the bow..... I call it the "Polish Overdraw".

Quick Reply: Anyone shoot with over draws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.