Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Where To Hunt in Sask. or Alberta?? >

Where To Hunt in Sask. or Alberta??

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Where To Hunt in Sask. or Alberta??

Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Spike

Default Where To Hunt in Sask. or Alberta??

Don't laugh, probably anywhere would be good. I'm 59 yrs. young and really want to hunt this area while I still have the energy. What I'm finding though is that most outfitters are chargingfrom $4000 (USD) and up.I understand you get what you pay for and you don't want to skimp on the hunt of a lifetime. My question is, is this the going rate for a quality hunt in Saskatchewan / Alberta?

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,
NYCHunter
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where To Hunt in Sask. or Alberta??

Both places have lots of good areas, Alberta seems to produce fewer but more top end bucks while Saskatchewan has higher numbers and better average. In Saskatchewan outfitters bait, as most of the land allocation for outfitting is in the forest area of the province(besides Indian Lands/Operations). Alberta does not bait but isn't allocated in this same manner.

While you maybe able to find free ranging hunts(Saskatchewan currently allowsfenced hunts, alberta does not)for less or via short notice/cancelation, 4-5K is the going rate.

If I were coming to Saskatchewan, I'd be looking from central to western side of the province. East sidehas great deer as well but they have issues the others don't. IE: no atvs in the amwhich hurts the numbers big time when hunting in the forest!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:35 AM

That price tends to be the basic price it also depends on how long you'll hunt for and the amount of animals you'll be hunting for.Here are the basics for huntin in Alberta. If your going for big whitetails stay north and east of Red Deer then anywhere north of Edmonton cause that's where there tends to be big whitey's. For mule deer stay east of calgary red deer and edmonton and you'll get a monster. As for moose, elk, bear, cougar stay west of calgary red deer and edmonton and you should have no problem baggin a big bull. Now there is this place called Western Guiding Services and you actually hunt in the first half of the day in Saskatchewan and the secong half in Alberta cause their right on the boarder for either whitetails or mulies.I have hunted out there and believe the pics at there site arent rare deer to see they frequent quite a bit out there. the website is westernquidingservices.com not sure of their prices but im sure it wouldnt be hard to find out.Good Luck

Lethal
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry leathal, but do you provide a grain of salt to consume with that post?

"...cause that's where there tends to be big whitey's. "
"...east of calgary red deer and edmonton and you'll get a monster"
"...you should have no problem baggin a big bull."

There are good trophy animals in Alberta but you will have to hunt hard for them. A good outfitter, a good guide, good equipment (and be well practised with it), be patient, presistant and ready to act at all times.
Then if you add a bit of luck and you may get a good trophy.

Non-residents that come to Alberta thinking there is a trophy buck behind every tree and there will be "no problem bagging a monster" will usually be disapointed.

As far as hunting half a day in Sask. and half in Alberta, I would think that would be very expensive (two times the $ for tags and permits) and would mean more travel time and less in the field hunting time. (time in the field is an important factor in getting a trophy)

Hope you find a good outfit and have a great hunt.

Robin down under
Old 09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last year my hunt in the Edmonton Bow Zone (Alberta) cost $4200, including tags and GST. It's the same amount this year. You only live once!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Spike

Thank you all for your input especially the general areas to focus on when choosing an outfitter. I'm looking to hunt just whitetails in '07, I'm not prepared to do anything this season. I may touch base with you again if I have more questions if that's okay?

I've looked through your older posts and the photos of the deer, and the landscape are awesome. Just miles and miles of woods to hunt. You fellas are real lucky!

Thanks again and have a safe& successful season.

NYCHunter

Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lethal, I checked the website you mentioned as wondering how they would run an outfit in 2 provinces. It appears american/non residents hunt both in bird season, waterfowl in the am in Sask. and upland in the afternoon in alberta. They do mention a candian resident guided deer hunt that takes advantage of both sask and alberta with seperate tags...which makes me wonder. As far as an american/non residentthey speak of a 3 day hunt in alberta only and the cost is listed at 3,600 US. That is my take on it, but all on the website under hunting packages if you care to follow up.

NYC, if your thinking 2007 you better get on the horn and do some leg work, asmany camps are booking out 1-2 years prior(at least in Saskatchewan). I agree we are blessed to have such a great place to hunt and anytime just post,I'll help where I can. Good luck in finding your dream hunt, get lots of references and call them!!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Spike

Will do Skeeter, and thanks for the tip. I didn't realize they book that far in advance.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

NYC, It seems that everybody has been giving you some pretty sound advice so I won't repeat what they've already said. If you're looking for an excellent (and very reputable)Alberta Outfitter for whitetails shoot me a Pm and i'll give you a link to a website.

Saskabush.