Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em! >

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Skeeter, I use a canon digital elph (4.0 MPI think) Got it from air miles last year and has been great. Small enough to stick in my pocket when I'm out hunting so I can get those field shots. Quality is fantastic as you can see. I did some research before hand and found out Canon uses pretty much the best lenses in the industry. LOL I heard about that this morning and couldn't believe it. Maybe they are trying to keep all the gophers out of the province. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I agree,it'll be 50/50 in the stands, let's hope it's not a blowout but entertaining.
p.s what type of 7mm you shooting?

Sask, thanks for the offer but I'm headed up around Lac La Biche area. Been doing that trek for a few years now...but I might take you up on that offer in the future. Always good to see new places and meet other good guy's. I'd love to see the mount when it's doe...post a pic. Did you get any field pics or too dark?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD, I picked mine as aprize for sales contest (3/4 years ago)it also is a Canon but 3.2 (A70 I think..). It's pretty small as well but find it to be very finnicky with steady hands( something maybe I need to work on or figure out)and with higher digital zoom becomes grainy, as my picture of the yearlings shows. Have been thinking about upgrading have a lot of Aeroplan miles to use before next year so have to see what they have listed and do some comparing. Thanks for the info!!

700 BDL LH'er wood comb stock, detachable mag,chambered in a 7mm rem mag with Zeiss 3.5x10x44 held on by Leupold DD rings/bases. Has got the usual tweaks bedded, pillars, aftermarket grind to fit recoil pad(Sims now)and trigger dropped to 3lb crisp/clean break. Aren't you shooting a 7mm rem mag..can't recall make [&:](browning comes to mind).

I agree re: the match up, all we ask is it is enjoyable and comes down to the final plays. Blow is no fun on either side of the cheer coin when it comes to playoff action IMO.

Saskabush, do you have an idea who you may get to mount your deer? If not let me know. Owen Arthur inWarmen works with Tundra(Steve/owner/founder lives in Weyburn)does very nice work. Here is a pic of my partners whitetail mountfrom a few years ago, which Owen did for him.Owen also does the Hansen replica's, include Milos display deer. Very good guy and awesome artist, his house is worth the trip alone to check out hiswork.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck in La Biche JD, I've always heard it an awesome area for whitetails.

Skeeter, I have not decided yet who to take him to. I would appreciate any suggestions or contacts you may have. I'm open to taking him to someone around S'toon as I head that way fairly frequently anyways. Above all I want quality over convenience and it looks like the guy you mentioned does nice work.

I dug out a tape measure at lunch and came up with 171 gross, net 159 non-typical. That said, I really don't know what i'm doing (just what the B+C websitecould tell me) so there would likely be some changes if I were to get it done by a real measurer. The gross typical frame (outside beam on the right antler) was 138 net 125. all the extras added up to around 32 inches.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saskabush,

Check out the following

Brian Dobson Artistic Taxidermy in Edmonton does absolutely amazing work but be prepared to wait a while.
http://www.artistic-taxidermy.com/

I love Owen's work what more can I say. While Dobson is the creme ela creme Owen does a top shelf job as well. His wait time will be upto a year in most cases. I can't seem to find his number quickly but you can email Tundra. I'll keep looking and send ityour waywhenI find[:@]. Should really get him on speed dial as I hope to hand him a couple deer this year!! Or is that putting the cart before the horse? Wives are a tricky bunch, well at least mine[].

http://www.teamtundra.ca/

Both attention to detail is spectacular IMHO, especially the eyes/shading/posturing/characteristics.

JD would be another guy to chime in as well to infoon alberta taxi's.

Good stuff, the score really doesn't do him justice. He's very cool and a trophy in my books.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Aye, score is nadda, its the memory of the deer/hunt that counts.

Anyone else find that when you start taking 2 hour hunts here and there, you score of those hunts alot of the time?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Skeeter, I'm shooting a Carl Gustaf Custom C/W same scope & rings as you. Never did any bedding or anything else for that matter. Gun has been tight from day 1, but not quite as tight as yours. (The Browning was my cousins). A 1 yr. wait is not bad at all!! The guy who did my pheasants & whitetail (JB Taxidermy) takes alot more. Great guy Joey, but the wait can be a couple of years (even with the quality) too long for me. I have used a local fellow by my house for my last 2 deer and owl. I'm scared because he's extremely fast 3-6 mos. turn around. But I have to admit his quality isn't as good, but still decent. If I shot a brute I'd probably use someone else however. Other than that, I've only heard horror stories of some other locals. Losing animals, using different capes...scary stuff.
ag...anytime I go out unprepared is when I score. Problem is I'm unpreparedso I always bring everything now.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Congrats Sask, on a real once in a lifetime buck. That thing has some serious mass, photos and the whole story definately belong in Big Buck mag which I've just gotten a suscription to and have been reading for years!
Skeeter, the "early in" 2&3 come from trouble with my PC and the forum making me log in again and give my password which I've since forgotten. I registered 1200 posts ago and my memory isn't that good.[:@] I'm waiting for Christine to get back to me with my password so I can once again become "early in".
Old 10-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Funny you guys mention that whole not being prepared thing. Just before leaving the truck I thought to myself "Should I bring the video camera and tripod? Naw, I won't bother." [:@]Oops. To top it off when I ran to the truck after shooting him I realized I had forgot my digital camera at home.[:@] Luckily my partner had his and took some pictures. I'm going to phone tonite and ask if he can expedite emailing them to me.

Thanks again for the comments guys. He is a trophy of a lifetime and something as trivial as score will never bother me or convince me otherwise.

Here are the only field pics I have at the moment. I'll post a few more when I get them.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Saskabush

Here's the number for the head guy for Saskatchewan for scoreres in your area for BTR. His name is Rod Lehmann and phone number is 204-668-8169. He'll get you hooked up with someone close to your location. Also for Skeeter 's info .BTR scoring system is and was made up by Russ Thornburry who is and was a guide here in Alberta for many of years. He's now executive director for Buckmaster's magazine and also their new magazine called Rack which is sort of like Big Buck. Sask get him scored by the BTR,they'll do him justice. Again good luck.
Rocky
PS If all else fails and you get to Edmonton I'll score him for you. here's my number in case 1-780-463-3762
Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all,
If you get a moment, take a peek at this link - its a thread to a forum topic on a BC hunting website, where a group of friends (whom all hunt together) score big mulies every year. Just my two cents to show BC has big deer too! lol.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8146

Read the whole thread, take a pic of that beast that is in the pics alive!

Also, I know its hard, but score this deer in this small pic for me:

Quick Reply: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.