Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Good scope for 500+ shots >

Good scope for 500+ shots

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Good scope for 500+ shots

Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hhardrockminer
Thanks to all for their responses.
I'm not new to hunting or shooting even if my posts may not have the jargon people use on this form but I am not one for paid ranges and not one that takes a shot at a LIVE animal just see if I can hit or kill it.
I am just trying to figure out a better scope for my Howa 1500 7mm mag.
I do understand what some have said but then again I don't want a BIG scope just a better scope than what I have at present time, and I really don't want or have to spend big(hard earned) money so I can impress someone.
I really do appreciate all the responses and enjoy the site somewhat.
Hhardrock
That makes sense. What do you currently have so as to get a baseline in scope quality? Just guessing but you might want to look at one of Leupold's new Freedom scopes for around $200 or so. You get really good glass (VX-2 level with good coatings) and Leupold's lifetime made in America warranty at a price that doesn't break the bank. 3x9x40 would probably work just fine. If you get one, let me know how well they work. If you're still on the fence until after tax season is over, shoot me a PM and I can let you know how one works.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

see this is my point folks
if the OP< would tell us more, we can maybe help them better

as a lot has to do with THERE experience, the rifle there using and the game there after

I mean, a new shooter might not under stand how to use a target turret on a scope, or its benefits
they might not understand how to use a scope with hash marks for ranging!
they might not even know how to use an adjustable objective on a scope?
do they understand bullet drop and how wind effects it
as its NOT just BUY a scope and then you can shoot 500 yards with it accurately, due to the NAME brand or options it has
wind, drop, bullet BC< types of bullets used, per what game
then lets face it NOT all rifles today shoot very accurately at 500 yards
just cause one shoots well at a 100,yards doesn't always mean it shoots well at 500yrds
and this is why again I am stating, they need to practice on PAPER, and not TRY things when there are clear shots in the field on game!
I have NO clue what the OP''s experience level is here nor does anyone else I gather!

just saying BUY "X" scope and your good to go, it NOT a correct answer

some guys can shoot well with open sights at 500 yards, some with just 4 X scope,
some guys need more magnification to see well far out there, some don't?

sticking a great BIG scope on a 30/30 doesn't actually make for a great LONG range rifle set up?

TV and magazine, and MARKETING< today, has surely been trying to tell everyone, long range is easy if you BUY "X" products
and honestly its NOT so
its practice and learning your equipment and HOW to shoot far
NOT just buying things!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Those are some legitimate issues we deal with in a forum like this. If we were all sitting around a campfire on a hunt, we would pretty much know each other, our rifles, scopes, skill levels, etc. Figuring out the requirements wanted for a new scope would be easier and likely covered within 5 or 10 minutes of conversation. On a forum like this, however, we often have to ask more questions to give better advice and sometimes guess at missing answers. He has good taste in rifles (Howa 1500) so I'm honestly curious what kind of scope he put on it. Not saying it's bad but I'm curious. Also a littl;e jealous. He's running around Montana with a 7mm Mag and who knows how many critters to hunt.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Spike

Hey Elkman and MRBB,
I am not one to shoot at anything I see but only Have Confidence in killing what I shoot at.
I sent 22 mo. in Nam(66-68 with Tet 68 in the middle).
The 7mm I have is wearing a Bushnell940-50 yrs. old), I don't care about BIGGER just better, the scope was given to me by my brother(now gone) and I guess I need to Give it a rest now.
Mrbb, are you still shooting with the same scope or even weapon as when you started shooting Matches in the '80's, if not why not and did you move on to impress, brag or just go with improvements in optics.
I came to the site looking for advise and help improving my optics my shooting is fine and I don't target practice on animals as some of you may think, but then again not knowing me you wouldn't know.
With that I'll close and Find a little more helpful information here at home and not on the net. Can't stand the computer anyway.
Thanks again for your comments and what help I've gotten from you all.
Hhardrockminer
Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Elkman and MRBB,
I am not one to shoot at anything I see but only Have Confidence in killing what I shoot at.
The 7mm I have is wearing a Bushnell940-50 yrs. old), I don't care about BIGGER just better, the scope was given to me by my brother(now gone) and I guess I need to Give it a rest now.
Mrbb, are you still shooting with the same scope or even weapon as when you started shooting Matches in the '80's, if not why not and did you move on to impress, brag or just go with improvements in optics.
I came to the site looking for advise and help improving my optics my shooting is fine and I don't target practice on animals as some of you may think, but then again not knowing me you wouldn't know.
With that I'll close and Find a little more helpful information here at home and not on the net. Can't stand the computer anyway.
Hhardrockminer
well if you read this I will answer some of your questions

as fare if I am still using the same rifle, scope or?? since the 80's to shoot long distance the answer is NO I am NOT, and it has NOTHING to do with trying to impress anyone or to just move on
it was to be able to shoot farther better, with better more modern gear dedicated to shooting FAR, in both rifle and scope and ammo and powder and bullet cases and so on
there has been a LOT learned in shooting far over the yrs, and as such gear has been adapted better to doing so,
BUT NOT all gear is created equally, period, be it for shooting far, or differences from things being in price tag and components used in things!

I can understand how frustration can set in on a computer and forum
But at the same time, I hope you also can understand , it can be frustrating trying to hold people you know NOTHING about what they know or don't, just as you would have NO clue what a experience level those offering advice might have !
there is a lot of BOTH good and bad info on the world wide web these days
I personally try not to be the guy that just say BUY "X" brand name item and then tell anyone they will shoot FAR better with "X" item, as that is NOT again how it works!
I have been instructing shooters for yrs, had a gun shop, sold thousands of scope and rifles and pistols and even machine guns(class III dealer)
I have been in this shooting sport game a LONG time
if you were offended by anything I posted, I am sorry was never my point, I was TRYING to help you, but to be helped you have to inform those trying to help you first!
You again, might know more than it is showing here, but I DON"T know
the fact your using a scope that is 50 yrs old, doesn't exactly tell US your into shooting,a s scopes of that era, have been LONG since proven to to be outdated(not saying they don't work)
but there have been leaps and bounds in scope quality, in ALL ways. from light gathering, reliability of adjustments(mostly repeated movement and holding zero) higher end glass, more user friendly options and more!
and I AM NOT bashing anyone's old scope, I own a few like your's and plan to keep them!
but there is NOT a doubt that things have come a LONG way and have improved in countless levels
and its NOT about , impressing anyone, either
when you UP grade
if it MAKES you see better, shoot better, and gets you more game down,, then its a WIN< period, nothing to do with Impressing anyome, unless you like to BRAG about??
which I don't see a need to when hunting!
BUT there will always be folks that BOTH Brag and feel a need to impress, and well, those that get impressed by what others have
I have NOTHING to do with this
use what you like, I could care less!

NOW back to your Rifle
IMO< IF your willing to invest a little effort more here
I would recommend you have a look at a Leupold VX III, 4.5-14 ,(your choice of a 40 or 50 mm, 50 mm will be larger scope, but more field of view and light in low light)
and get it with there CDS system and with a CDS, it will give you some pretty accurate use of there system to know drop and hold to shoot out to 500 yards
BUT you will need to tell them what load/bullet combo you prefer to hunt with to get you the most honest accurate system
this means you need to KNOW what YOUR rifle does in FPS, not just off a chart or the box of ammo!
if shooting factory ammo, you will need to know the bullets BC
Again, the more accurate info you give, the better the result you will have

a link to buy them if you care!

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Leup...pe/2249531.uts

this will be a HUGE upgrade over your current scope
and its NOT showing off, its getting you a very quality scope, with good features and solid proven history of being quality, not BLING!
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Elkman and MRBB,
Hhardrockminer
yeah, that's kind of on me I guess. I sorta piggy backed on mrbb's post without being more specific although I did post "what he said about glass." I still agree with that statement but can see how it might get lost with the other assumptions mrbb was making or perhaps guessing at. I didn't agree with nor make the other assumptions. Only the part about glass. Once you said it was a 7 mag, I figured big game. Once you said your original scope was a 40 year old Bushnell, that kind of answered the question. I haven't had the best of luck with Bushnell. YMMV. But I think you could pick almost any modern scope in the $200 to say $500 or $600 range and be light years ahead in performance, twilight factor, etc. There's also a lot more reticle choices available now also. I couldn't recommend going below $200 although I'm sure there are some exceptions. I'm not familiar with the Leupold Freedom scope Cal is talking about but it sounds interesting. Maybe this will clarify things a bit.

Last edited by elkman30; 03-05-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Just to clarify, I have read a lot about Leupold's new Freedom scope but don't own one yet. That's coming real soon though. The write-ups and reviews I've read just make me curious about them. It may be time for an update on my deer rifle. Never hurts to have options.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Spike

Hey,
I would like to say "sorry" for the last post and I was just venting and upset with myself for not conveying a little more info than I did.
I don't get into the depth of some things as I should and have people misunderstand what I'm trying to say which is on ME.
Was and am basically wanting to improve my optics as I know the scope my brother had mounted for me was more of a memory of him thing than it was anything else.
My son after we hunted last yr. told me I really needed to upgrade which I plan to do, just trying to figure out which scope to go with.
He just mounted a Nikon Black on his Browning 7mm, but I would prefer not to spend that much seeing as I'm not working and have a set income now.
I will look into the Leupold and a few others and what you all to know I really do appreciate you in put on this post.
Thanks,
Hhardrock
Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

No offense taken and that is one of the problems for all of us. We try to communicate 100% on a keyboard that cannot convey facial and body gestures in spite of having smilie emoticons. Something else I thought of, you might check wtih Bushnell and see if there's anything they can do to slick up your scope. If they knew the sentimental value, there might be something they can do to tune it up.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No worries there hardrock. I don't always communicate well what I mean on a lot of my posts. I think I'm pretty much banned from the Turkey forum now and prolly on the last raw nerve in the Elk topic. Does it mean you're really talented when you piss them off without trying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.