HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good scope for 500+ shots
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hhardrockminer
Hey Elkman and MRBB,
I am not one to shoot at anything I see but only Have Confidence in killing what I shoot at.
I sent 22 mo. in Nam(66-68 with Tet 68 in the middle).
The 7mm I have is wearing a Bushnell940-50 yrs. old), I don't care about BIGGER just better, the scope was given to me by my brother(now gone) and I guess I need to Give it a rest now.
Mrbb, are you still shooting with the same scope or even weapon as when you started shooting Matches in the '80's, if not why not and did you move on to impress, brag or just go with improvements in optics.
I came to the site looking for advise and help improving my optics my shooting is fine and I don't target practice on animals as some of you may think, but then again not knowing me you wouldn't know.
With that I'll close and Find a little more helpful information here at home and not on the net. Can't stand the computer anyway.
Thanks again for your comments and what help I've gotten from you all.
Hhardrockminer
well if you read this I will answer some of your questions

as fare if I am still using the same rifle, scope or?? since the 80's to shoot long distance the answer is NO I am NOT, and it has NOTHING to do with trying to impress anyone or to just move on
it was to be able to shoot farther better, with better more modern gear dedicated to shooting FAR, in both rifle and scope and ammo and powder and bullet cases and so on
there has been a LOT learned in shooting far over the yrs, and as such gear has been adapted better to doing so,
BUT NOT all gear is created equally, period, be it for shooting far, or differences from things being in price tag and components used in things!

I can understand how frustration can set in on a computer and forum
But at the same time, I hope you also can understand , it can be frustrating trying to hold people you know NOTHING about what they know or don't, just as you would have NO clue what a experience level those offering advice might have !
there is a lot of BOTH good and bad info on the world wide web these days
I personally try not to be the guy that just say BUY "X" brand name item and then tell anyone they will shoot FAR better with "X" item, as that is NOT again how it works!
I have been instructing shooters for yrs, had a gun shop, sold thousands of scope and rifles and pistols and even machine guns(class III dealer)
I have been in this shooting sport game a LONG time
if you were offended by anything I posted, I am sorry was never my point, I was TRYING to help you, but to be helped you have to inform those trying to help you first!
You again, might know more than it is showing here, but I DON"T know
the fact your using a scope that is 50 yrs old, doesn't exactly tell US your into shooting,a s scopes of that era, have been LONG since proven to to be outdated(not saying they don't work)
but there have been leaps and bounds in scope quality, in ALL ways. from light gathering, reliability of adjustments(mostly repeated movement and holding zero) higher end glass, more user friendly options and more!
and I AM NOT bashing anyone's old scope, I own a few like your's and plan to keep them!
but there is NOT a doubt that things have come a LONG way and have improved in countless levels
and its NOT about , impressing anyone, either
when you UP grade
if it MAKES you see better, shoot better, and gets you more game down,, then its a WIN< period, nothing to do with Impressing anyome, unless you like to BRAG about??
which I don't see a need to when hunting!
BUT there will always be folks that BOTH Brag and feel a need to impress, and well, those that get impressed by what others have
I have NOTHING to do with this
use what you like, I could care less!

NOW back to your Rifle
IMO< IF your willing to invest a little effort more here
I would recommend you have a look at a Leupold VX III, 4.5-14 ,(your choice of a 40 or 50 mm, 50 mm will be larger scope, but more field of view and light in low light)
and get it with there CDS system and with a CDS, it will give you some pretty accurate use of there system to know drop and hold to shoot out to 500 yards
BUT you will need to tell them what load/bullet combo you prefer to hunt with to get you the most honest accurate system
this means you need to KNOW what YOUR rifle does in FPS, not just off a chart or the box of ammo!
if shooting factory ammo, you will need to know the bullets BC
Again, the more accurate info you give, the better the result you will have

a link to buy them if you care!

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Leup...pe/2249531.uts

this will be a HUGE upgrade over your current scope
and its NOT showing off, its getting you a very quality scope, with good features and solid proven history of being quality, not BLING!