Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Anyone have a Bushnell Firefly? >

Anyone have a Bushnell Firefly?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Anyone have a Bushnell Firefly?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Spike

Default Anyone have a Bushnell Firefly?

I have the 3200 with Firefly reticle. I have to say, I am not sure if I like it. When I first got it I shined a light through it, and the reticle lit up bright green. But then after about 1 minute, it was real dim. Then maybe another minute later, it wasnt lit up at all.

I thought maybe I got a defective scope or something, but in re-reading the manual, I found that the idea is - you shine the light throuhg the scope, and the reticle glows bright green. then the glow goes away, until you are in a low light condition. At that point, the reticle will slowly change from black to a lighter color, depending on how light it is out.

I guess it will work fine, but I was expecting to see that green glow the entire time. or at least the green glow when it is dark out. Has anyone used this score at night yet?? Any reviews.

p.s. I really like the scope in general, it's just the illuminated part that I am not too sure about.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM

Default RE: Anyone have a Bushnell Firefly?

I have the 3200 3X9 40mm fire fly on my inline. I like it, if I charge it for a few minutes it will stay lit for over an hour in dark conditions. For me it has worked pretty good, I cant complain especially for the minimal cost for it.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:35 PM

At One time, Bushnell gave the flashlight that goes with the scope for free.

What you have to think about is - that there is only low light conditions the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes of hunting - where the law says Dawn to Dusk.

If the crosshairs were bright, it would take away from the low light in the woods that you were trying to combat with the glow in the dark cross hairs.

It was not intended to be used as a poaching scope that you could shoot in the dark.

It's not night vision, and it isn't battery operated - like some of the earlier models that are now illegal - where I hunt deer.

The way I read the manual, you shine the light through the scope before you leave camp or your vehicle and it should last until you get to your stand.

By the time it gets light out, it will have faded away and will work like a regular old scope.

Since my days of Weaver K4 scopes, I have not had a problem seeing the cross hairs in any of my more modern scopes. If it is too dark out to see, then it is too dark out to shoot. I don't need to shoot a deer that bad.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

At One time, Bushnell gave the flashlight that goes with the scope for free.

What you have to think about is - that there is only low light conditions the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes of hunting - where the law says Dawn to Dusk.

If the crosshairs were bright, it would take away from the low light in the woods that you were trying to combat with the glow in the dark cross hairs.

It was not intended to be used as a poaching scope that you could shoot in the dark.

It's not night vision, and it isn't battery operated - like some of the earlier models that are now illegal - where I hunt deer.

The way I read the manual, you shine the light through the scope before you leave camp or your vehicle and it should last until you get to your stand.

By the time it gets light out, it will have faded away and will work like a regular old scope.

Since my days of Weaver K4 scopes, I have not had a problem seeing the cross hairs in any of my more modern scopes. If it is too dark out to see, then it is too dark out to shoot. I don't need to shoot a deer that bad.
Agreed. When I purchased my Firefly it came with the little pen sized LED light to charge the cross hairs.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I hadone and found the crosshairs didn't take on a slight glow till well after shooting time was over. I had the 3x9x50and the scope overall was too long for my tastes. Also couldn't get my rifles to group well with it. Sent it to Bushnell and they said it was within specs. Traded it the next day.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM

I just bought my first firefly scope. I have had situations late in the day when I could see deer plainly through the scope, but could not see the crosshairs. I like to shoot at a point on the deer not just a general area. I hope the firefly will give me another five minutes of shooting opportunity and I think it will.