Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Bushnell elite "firefly" >

Bushnell elite "firefly"

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bushnell elite "firefly"

Old 02-08-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Bushnell elite "firefly"

Hi,

Does anybody have tryed out the firefly scopes from Bushnell?
I can´t understand how it works if i am hunting in low light and using the scope alot then i have to have a flashlight to recharge it is this true?? Is it not better to have an lit retticle and change the battery? Can any body explain how this "FIREFLY" thing works.

Kind regards from snowy Iceland
Ice
Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 PM

Default RE: Bushnell elite "firefly"

From what I understand is that you charge the scope in the day light for a couple of minutes and leave it. As it gets dark the reticle will start to glow and is good for around 6 hrs or so. You'll never have to worry about dead batteries. I have never used one but sounds pretty cool.
Cheers!!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's about how I understand it as well. I like the Elite 3200 that I have and would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one. Mine does not glow for anywhere near to 6 hours. As far as I can tell it glows for less than an hour after exposing it to the light from a flashlight. But that should be plenty long enough for shooting at dusk or dawn. I like it.

I was less impressed, however, with the rainguard coating on the lens. The lens on my 3200 Elite fogs up from my breath just like any other scope I've had. I guess I've got to be more careful not to breathe on the lens when I shoulder my rifles.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Go to any ski shop and get yourself a Smith No Fog Cloth. Take your gun out and intentionally fog the scope then wipe it clean with the no fog. Wont have to mess with it the rest of the day, sometimes 2 days. Every year I pick up 10 and pass em out to the guys in the camp, they cant seem to remember the little things.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Got one and love it...a 1-2 minute "charging" lasts for 45min-1hr. I've never had mine fog up, but then I haven't breathed directly on it. It's also great for varmit hunting on moonlit nights (where allowed)...I've taken 2 bobcats so far
Old 02-13-2004, 10:18 AM

I am the owner of the 3-9 X 50mm Firefly. It is a great scope. As mentioned before just charge it prior to dark and the crosshairs will glow. I get about 45 minutes on mine but you can recharge it if needed. I have already taken 2 deer at dusk with it this year. No complaints. I plan to put one on the new rifle I just purchased. I will be going with the 40mm this time. For some reason the field of view at 100 yds is greater with the 40mm. For a great price on these and other scopes check out riflescopes.com I purchased my 50mm from them. Noone in my local area could even come close to matching the price that I paid for it.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me just add one more thought. Even though the Firefly reticle on my Elite 3200 is nice and works as advertised, I can actually hunt longer with my Zeiss Conquest scopes because the optics are just plain better. I don't have one, but I understand the Elite 4200 has the optics that make the Firefly more useful. I wish I had gotten the 4200 instead of the 3200.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am sorry I like the Bushnell Elite 3200 & 4200 very much but the firefly reticle is a gimmick for biggame hunting and I see absolutely no use for it. Now if you want it for varmit night hunting, then I can see some use. The fact you must shine a flashlight for 1-2 min to charge it just doesn't seem practical in any of my hunting situations. Also having used both scopes I can say I have never seen the need for a lit reticle under normal legal times. For these reason I say "Gimmick" and give me something I see as usable advantage instead.