Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts/Rings??? >

Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts/Rings???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts/Rings???

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts/Rings???

I hunt alot in mid Florida where the brush is so thick you cant spit. This lends itself well to a low powered scope. I plan on heading to Georgia working a field and stepping up ona more powerfulscope. My question,,, is there any quick disconnect rings so i can easily swap scopes? and after swaping them back, how close will they normally be? Is this even a good idea if possibleI only own one rifle and not in position to purchase another, dedicating each for a specific purpose. Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts/Rings???

While I haven't done what your asking, in regards to 1 rifle and 2 scopes. I do use QD mounts on my ML's and typically myPOI is with in a 1" off where I left off prior to detach. Assuming you had 1 set of bases mounted on the rifle and a set of rings mounted on each scope I really can't see their being any difference then my experience. Certainly is Doable. However I personally would go hunting without testing after the detach or switch over.

BTW I use Warne Maxima's QD now. Have also used Leupold QR's. I have found the Warne's more consistent in terms of POI.

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Thanks Skeeter7mm.... im going to check them out. Ya, i would deff test er out at the range prior. just didnt want to be back a square one when i switch. Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 PM

I concur with skeeter. I have used both the leupold and Warne QD rings. Both are fairly reasonable in terms of POI. Leupold also makes a QD base that uses different rings; I have never used them myself.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks C Sniper....all advice is welcomed....im going to swing by my gun shop tomarrow and see what they may have.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Skip the quick release scope, and don't bothe rbuying 2 scopes for 2 different Hunts. In todays age, technology is good enough that you only need one. Just buy a good variable powered scope. I would suggest the Nikkon Buckmaster 4x14x?? That should give you the flexibility that you are looking for. This also takes the shifiting zero out of the equation as well. Then, just make sure you mount it with a one peice mount, and good solid rings. Hope this helps and gives you another option.

Kurt
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM

I've got a set of Warne QD mounts on my .375 H&H. They return to zero without issue.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks guys! Well i already have a Nikon 2x fixed scope now. I love this little scope and works great for those close range thick brush shots. Its on my Ruger Frontier .308 and setup as a scout style rifle with long eye relief. This scope would be no good outside a 100 yrds imo. This is why i must look to something variable and more powerful...to bridge that distance out to 200+. Thanks