Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why don't you like Tasco scopes? >

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

I've been reading a lot on here about how Tasco scopes are junk and how you wouldn't trust them on a big hunt. Same goes for Simmons. Now I'm curious as to why you guys feel this way? I have a Simmons I've had for a couple of years and it's served me well granted it's only on a .22.

Well, as far as Tasco goes I have a 3x9x40 I put on my muzzle loader for $30 after having some friends tell me they really liked Tasco stuff. I've been happy with it so far although I haven't shot a huge amount of rounds through it.

I had a Leupold on my 30-06 and I don't like it at all. I've had it for around 9 months. I was told to spend extra on a nice scope as a gun like that will break the insides loose on a lot of cheaper ones. Well, turns out the Leupold doesn't hold up so well either. While they do have a Lifetime warrenty which seems decent it's a pain to send it in and wait 3 weeks for it to come back. I went to Wal-Mart and bought another Tasco and put it on my 30-06 while I'm waiting for my Leupold to come back and figure I can keep it as a spare after I get it back.

Granted with this one I have only shot 20 rounds or so through it but it has impressed me much more than the Leupold has and it cost $30 at Wal-Mart vs the $230 the Leupold costs. Why do you guys think they are such junk? I realize they may not last forever but at the price I can buy 6 of them and still come out a lot cheaper than the Leupold and not have to wait on the warrenty work.

What makes them so bad?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

I have several friends come to me ask me why I spend so much on Leupolds, Ziess, and Nikons. Now, I sure won't buy a leupold rifleman. They are junk in my opinion. But I do buy alot of Leupold vari-X III. I also won't buy a VX line due to the three piece body. I do own one VX on my sluggun and its been good for 3 years.

I have a feeling you will learn the same over the years. I too asked whats wrong with a tasco or a simmons 8 pt. After you have one fail on you in the feild you will upgrade. Then after you see some high quality optics, you will be coveting a nice scope.

I had my good buddy on here who also is a advocate for cheap scopes, call me and tell me all his guns are off by 6" or so. I said you get what you paid for. I don't have that issue of year to year the gun shifting point of impact. I did for years with a simmons 8pt. I did with cheap tascos.

Take that tasco and perform a box test with it. See if you move it 2MOA up at 400 yards, if it moves up 2MOA. I bet it won't and can't.

True, you are paying alot for a name. And I love leupold, but don't like thier new VX line, but your tasco will not be near as clear.

I have owned over2 dozen leupolds. Maybe traded more. I have only had to ship one back for fogging up. And that scope was well over 20 years old. But again, I usually only buy the older Vari-X III lines. I now generally buy nikon Monarchs, Nikon Conquestsand Bushnell Elite 4200's.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is one thing you are wrong about my Tasco is way clearer than my Leupold VX I is. I think thats part of the problem with the VX I. It got to where it was blurry after a shot and when I sat and watched it you could see it settle down like it was shaking. It wasn't the clearest thing to begin with though. Now I know it's a low end Leupold but it still wasn't cheap. It's being sent back to Leupold now so hopefully it gets fixxed. Maybe I will be highly impressed when it comes back I just haven't been in the time I've owned it. I may like you said realize I'm not a fan of cheap scopes later on down the road though.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be stright forward.

I have 3 tascos, pronghorn on my 30 06, a 10+ year old on my ML, and a bucksight (wally world for $30) on my sks. I am planning replacing one a year. just don't know which one. the best one out of the bunch is the 10+ year, it's top turret is coming loose. but still holds zero. go figure.

I am going with nikons, you can catch them on great sells.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

That is one thing you are wrong about my Tasco is way clearer than my Leupold VX I is. I think thats part of the problem with the VX I. It got to where it was blurry after a shot and when I sat and watched it you could see it settle down like it was shaking. It wasn't the clearest thing to begin with though. Now I know it's a low end Leupold but it still wasn't cheap. It's being sent back to Leupold now so hopefully it gets fixxed. Maybe I will be highly impressed when it comes back I just haven't been in the time I've owned it. I may like you said realize I'm not a fan of cheap scopes later on down the road though.
Yea, I believe your tasco might be just as clear as the VX1. I wouldn't own one or a tasco. I consider the leupold VX1 to be not very high quality. Also, I can get them for less than $150 if you look at the right places in the internet. I bought one for my brother for his 204, and was shocked how much glare it had. After you shoot, if you see fuzziness, that could be heat mirage from your barrel.

If you want a quality lower/middle range scope. Look at the Bushnell Elite 3200's. I have a few and really like it. I just don't like thier warranty being so grey.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

After seeing two tascos that changed the point of impact by over 2" at 100 yards when the magnification was adjusted,I will never own a tasco.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not much difference in the quality of the VX I ant the Tasco, both of them are lower quality scopes. If you get the chanace to hunt with a high quality scope you will know the difference.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

No one ever complained about having too much optical quality only how much they cost in some cases
Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only owned one and the POI changed on it when you changed the power. 3-9 40mm (remember the old TV views?) After that, I never bought another one.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

after having a cheap scope fail me, i wont put another low end scope on an important rifle...

cant remember if it was a tasco or simmons...it was a shotgun scope..i put it on my 3006...first season, worked fine..2nd or 3rd season, it shot fine on paper...maxed out on the magnification...but for hunting i leave them on the lowest setting...that season i missed a deer, and i wont lie, wounded and lost 2 others. i was crushed. i couldnt kill a deer at 20-35yds STANDING with a rifle...i quit hunting. dad was building a slug gun that spring and i gave him the scope...gunsmith went to boresight the scope, and always checks used scopes...mounted it, adjusted the magnification several times and every time he did, the crosshairs moved!!!! and they never went back to zero. so every time i adjusted my magnification while hunting, my crosshairs moved and i never knew it....

never again...after hearing that news, i put a leupold on my deer rifle and killed a pile of deer since..never missing my mark...i KNEW it wasnt me...im not a world class shooter...but i can shoot...a deers vitals is alot larger than ANY group ive ever fired at any range ive shot...let alone 50yds or less...

lesson learned the hard way...yep, those cheap scopes seem OK..and seem to work...but sooner or later they will fail...exspecially variable powered scopes and on anything larger than a rimfire..

Quick Reply: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.