Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why don't you like Tasco scopes? >

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

During a rather weak moment I bought a Tasco once, a 3-9x40 World Class. It was awful, like looking through a Coke bottle or something. Anyway, I ended up selling the rifle it was mounted on and only charged for the rifle.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too once thought that extra money on a scope was throwing money away!
I put a Trashco World Class 3X9X40 on a new gun, it lasted a couple of years. Then luckily it literally fell apart on me at the range, not on a hunt! Trashco replaced it and the new one failed on a hunt, costing me a wounded and lost animal!
So, I "upgraded" to the Simmons Aetec. It lasted about 4 years, and failed during a hunt! Lucky again, it was not on a shot at a deer. But, I noticed something wrong so I setup a 100 yard range! The shots were almost 12" apart! Simmons finally sent me a new one. I did use it this year with good results, but it will be replaced before next season. I took the chance this year, but I'm not going to wait for this one to fail before I replace it!
I am looking at a Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature, and if I can swing it, a Ziess Conquest. I have an older Leupold Vari-X-II, it has been a good scope but, I don't like their cheaper new ones, and the higher end ones are over priced!
When you stop and think about it, yes, you do pay a certain amount for a name, but you are also paying for quality materials, quality control and craftsmanship! Buy a cheap scope and you will probably buy it twice! What have you saved?
I put lots of time, money, and sweat into hunting, so why risk a trophy or wounded animal on a cheap scope!?
No, I still don't think you need a 1000 dollar scope! But, how can you logically expect a 30 dollar scope to have the quality of a 500 dollar scope??? It ain't gonna happen!
The raw materials alone on a quality scope are worth far more than a 30-100 dollar scope, brand new, in the box!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

So the Tasco should atleast hold up until I get my Leupold back right?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

So the Tasco should atleast hold up until I get my Leupold back right?
Thats up to you. Are you planning on pounding 500 rounds this weekend?

Test it out. No one answer a question on your scope but your tests and your shooting. Shoot a group at high power, then low, is the same POI? Adjust up 5MOA or so, and shoot then adjust 5MOA to the right shoot a group, then 5MOA down, and so on until you come back to home. Does it get back to same POI every time?

Vise down your gun, and move your head back and forth looking thru the scope, and see if the crosshairs stay on target or move around. Tasco usually has issues with parrallax.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

gun, and move your head back and forth looking thru the scope, and see if the crosshairs stay on target or move around. Tasco usually has issues with parrallax.
When sighting it in I was hitting dead on at 100 yards. Got it a lot closer a lot faster than I did with the Leupold. I sighted it in a 9x power as thats usually what I use but when I shot at a lower power it seemed to be a similar shot. Maybe not exactly I couldn't tell but pretty close. Close enough for a deer.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

My 1st rifle was a Remington 788 in .243. I was 12 years old, and that 4x Tasco was so SHINY. Wow, what a Christmas!

We were hunters, not shooters. By the time I was 16, I'd harvested 4 or 5 whitetails, & shot maybe 6 boxes of ammo. I wandered away from hunting, & the gun stayed in thegun cabinetfor nearly 20 years.

Last Summer, I brought the gun out, & was trying to adjust the scope for the different kinds of ammo. I was trying. When I unscrewed the top cap, the entire guts of the scope came out with it. I guess sitting in a gun cabinet can just be murder on a scope.

I replaced the scope with a Browning (private-labeled Bushnell) 3-9x40 for $139. What a world of difference!

Even $100 these days will get you far more scope than a Tasceaux.

FC
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't want to spend $100+ for a scope that I would only be using for 3 weeks. Thats why I went with the Tasco. Leupold said that it should take 2 weeks to fix mine plus shipping time. Being as it's right in the middle of hunting season I didn't want to go without a scope for that long so I bought a Tasco to use for the 3 weeks. I play to after that put my Leupold back on and keep the Tasco as a spare incase I ever need it again. Now it is my main scope for now on my muzzle loader and hopefully will hold up as little as I shoot that. If not I have open sights on it too but my rifle doesn't have open sights on it. Thats why I needed a scope.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I didn't want to spend $100+ for a scope that I would only be using for 3 weeks. Thats why I went with the Tasco. Leupold said that it should take 2 weeks to fix mine plus shipping time. Being as it's right in the middle of hunting season I didn't want to go without a scope for that long so I bought a Tasco to use for the 3 weeks. I play to after that put my Leupold back on and keep the Tasco as a spare incase I ever need it again. Now it is my main scope for now on my muzzle loader and hopefully will hold up as little as I shoot that. If not I have open sights on it too but my rifle doesn't have open sights on it. Thats why I needed a scope.
I am assuming that you only have one "deer" rifle, and if that is the case and only have 3 weeks a year to hunt, I would personally use the best equipment that I could possibly afford. You have taken the cheap route twice and are paying the price now by being without your scope. This just a piece of friendly advice, but if I were you, I would get through this season as best I could and save up for a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 for next year.

Actually, Tascoes weren't terrible scopes in the 80's. I had couple of them that served me very well for several years. I have no first hand knowledge of the quality of Tascoes today, but from what I read on this board and others, they must be pretty bad. I put VX-I scopes only a small notch above a Tasco or Simmons. I have several rifles and have Leupold Vari-X II's, III's, VX-II's, III's, Zeiss Conquests, Swarovskis, and one Nightforce. Since I just bought the Nightforce, I can't attest to how good it really is, but my favorite "hunting" scope though is my Zeiss Conquest 3-9. In my opinion, it is the best scope for the money on the market today. My second favorite is my Swarovski A series 3-9x36mm.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I only have one rifle for deer. I had a lot of people reccomend the Leupold I bought to me before I bought it including shops. Thats why I went with it and turns out I should have bought something else. I really did go cheap with the Tasco but the Leupold was pretty damn costly. If I did it again knowing what I did now I probably wouldn't have gotten it but then again it's hard for my to justify putting a new scope on there when I have already spend $200 this year on one.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged
Last Summer, I brought the gun out, & was trying to adjust the scope for the different kinds of ammo. I was trying. When I unscrewed the top cap, the entire guts of the scope came out with it. I guess sitting in a gun cabinet can just be murder on a scope.
FC
No it was not the time or the cabinet! That is exactly what happened to my original Trashco that was about 4 years old. I unscrewed the turret cap and the guts came with it!

Quick Reply: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.