Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why don't you like Tasco scopes? >

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Easy.... "Trash-co" scopes are cheap and very low quality.

Do this: Go to D.i.c.k's Sporting Goods, go to Gander Mountain, go to any major hunting/fishing store (no not Wal-Mart! ).Take a good look around at the rifle scope display. Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Burris, and high end Bushnell are all in the display case/cabinet. You have to ask the clerk to open it up and show you one. However, on the wire rack next to the binoculars, you'll see BSA and Tasco scopes bundled up in pre-packaged plastic. [:-]
Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have some of the old Tasco World Class scopes that I have had for 20-30 years. They were very good quality back in those days. I still have them on several of my rifles but mostly on guns 30-06 and lower. I feel the old ones were on par with the old Vari XI and maybe the Vari XII. My dad has an old Tasco World Class 2-7x on his Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag. It has been on many deer hunts in MN, Moose hunts in Canada several Elk hunts out West, been dropped, kicked by horses and it still holds zero. But I noticed the quality start to degrade many years ago and haven't purchased one except to put on .22's or muzzleloaders.
You really do get what you pay for in optics and as a persons eyes age this gets much more apparant.
By they way I own several top of the line scopes also (1.5-6x42 Zeiss on my Double Rifle, 2.5-10x50IR Ziess on my 30-06)and many Leupolds on several of my rifles. Also have a few Burris scopes but they are mostly on handguns.
I guess what I am trying to say is that the Tasco/Simmons/Bushnell type bargain scopes are okay but I would NOT depend on one on any rifle above say a .308 in recoil.
Have a brother I can't tell anything. I kept telling him it was those cheap scopes because he couldn't keep his gun zeroed,but after he went through 3 $100 scopes on his 300 Win Mag, I finallygot him a Leupold and he hasn't had a problem holding zero since. And he is ROUGH on equiptment.
Ie...Cheap scope and hard kicking rifles do NOT mix!!

WW
Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of those 2x7 World Class scopes. They were made in late 80's or early 90's but they done an extremly good job for me over the years. One of them served in about 50 kills mounted on a 270 and the other was in on a couple with a 243. I took the one off the 270 and put it on a 50 cal ml is it is still going srong. Both of those scopes were 40 bucks well spent. The new Tascos...ehhhhh.... not so much.....
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

i've had some good tasco's and some bad ones.its the same with the cheaper bushnells,i bought one of the bushnell sportsmen scopes for 29.95 about 1980 or so. that scope was on my first rem 270 until 1990 or so .now its on a muzzleloader and still holding up great. you may get a good one and you may not.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have a feeling you will learn the same over the years. I too asked whats wrong with a tasco or a simmons 8 pt. After you have one fail on you in the feild you will upgrade. Then after you see some high quality optics, you will be coveting a nice scope.
I have the Simmons 8-Point 3-9x50 on my rifle. It has never given me any trouble and I have had it for 5 years.......
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

I have a feeling you will learn the same over the years. I too asked whats wrong with a tasco or a simmons 8 pt. After you have one fail on you in the feild you will upgrade. Then after you see some high quality optics, you will be coveting a nice scope.
I have the Simmons 8-Point 3-9x50 on my rifle. It has never given me any trouble and I have had it for 5 years.......
Oh my gosh, your kidding? A whole 5 years. No trouble? Thats a wealth of experience in optics.

Ok, guys, we were all wrong especially me. pheasant guy here has had no trouble, for 5 years.So based off of his experience they are all quality optics now.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't say that they are the best. I would love to have a Nikon Monarch.I just said that I have had one on my rifle for 5 years, and I am not gentle on my rifle, and it hasn't given me any problems.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
bigcountry

I didn't say that they are the best. I would love to have a Nikon Monarch.I just said that I have had one on my rifle for 5 years, and I am not gentle on my rifle, and it hasn't given me any problems.
I know, your the man. I am sure you have owned all brands, and models before, so you know what your talking about.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMFAO!!! Big Country you have a way with words
Old 12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know, your the man. I am sure you have owned all brands, and models before, so you know what your talking about.
No, I have never had another scope, I have never used a higher quality scope. All I am saying is, I have had no problems with my Simmons scope, and I will keep it on the rifle unless something happens to it. If something happens to it, I will replace it with a Nikon or a Leupold. I am not saying that it is my favorite brand, I am saying that it works for me.

Quick Reply: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.