Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Why don't you like Tasco scopes? >

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why don't you like Tasco scopes?

You STILL don't get it-you bought the cheapest model leupold sells (it still should've been good tho),baseALL leupolds on experience with just 1. Next time try getting a good model and you'll quit worshipping your trashco.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

Well, I like my Tasco even more now. I still have one on my muzzle loader and saw a deer a couple days ago. The It's a couple now as it was the day before yesterday. I called him in to about 123 yards give or take. I was thinking when I checked it last year with a range finder it was 130 yards but accodring to the gps it was 123 but it says it's only accurate within like 30 or 40 feet or something so that's several yards difference. I'd say it was at least 123 yards and I'm really almost sure it was further than that when I checked it with a range finder.

Anyway, I couldn't get him to come any closer. He was a nice 8 pointer. Being that I had a muzzle loader I didn't want to take a 120-130 yard shot. After trying to call him in more and him just looking and not moving I decided to try for the shot.

I'm using 100 grams of Pyrodex pellets and Powerbelt 295 grain hollow points and last time I shot the gun it was shooting very close at 100 yards but it was hard to keep it still in the spot I was sighting it in. So some were up and some were down from the bullseye and some were right in the bullseye. It just depended on how I pulled. It's about 2" high at 50 yards maybe slightly more than 2" but right around great at 100 yards. Knowing how fast muzzle loader bullets dropped I decided to aim high. I aimed right above the deer and hit him right and I mean right behind the shoulders exactly where I wanted to. He fell and then jumped into the woods. When I got there. I climbed down right then he was flapping trying to get up as he saw me. Not knowing where I shot him and also not wanting him to suffer I reloaded and shot him again in the back and just just rolled over. I couldn't get a shot and behind the shoulders then. If I had known where I hit him which was a perfect shot I wouldn't have shot him again but I didn't know and didn't want him to suffer and longer than he had to.

A few friends said I just waisted more meat by shooting him again. Overall, it was a nice day as I killed a pretty large 8 pointed. I had several people tell me how lucky it was.

I couldn't have done this without a scope and being that the Tasco usually shoots right around where I want it at 100 yards I knew to aim high at 130 yards and aimed in the perfect spot and it shot exactly where I wanted it to. I'm impressed. The Leupold I have I can't get to hit where I want half the time. I also later had this thing fall across the truck seat and the scope hit the door. When I shot it to see where it was shooting it was still good. If that happend the the Leupold you more than likely would have had to re adjust it.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what kind of "work" have you been doing on guns for 40 years? I've been a licensed gunsmith for 27+ years now and wonder how much actual experience you have with upper end scopes to say "it's all hype"? I'm finding this hard to believe.

[quote]ORIGINAL: LarryFox1

Thats just not so.I been working on gun's for nearly 40 years.The more i have dealt with these So CALL name brand scope's that sell for god only knows how much.The more i see how peps think via speanding more they get more.Is nothing but pure hype from Optic's Company's to make a buck.Praying on the fool hearty.I repeat YOU DO NOT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Case in point look at gas Prices[quote]ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get the cheapest model. That would be the Rifleman but I do agree I didn't get an expensive model. I also got the cheapest model Tasco sells and yet it still manages to last over twice as long as the Leupold will last inbetween breaking. Cheapest model from Leupold or not it's still a $220 scope that should last longer than a $30 scope and be clearer than a $30 no matter how you look at it.

There is also no reason the Leupold should lose zero as easily as it does if the Tasco and Simmons I have don't. You touch this thing wrong and you should expect to have to adjust it.

I however love the Burris I replaced the Leupold with. It's way clearer than the Leupold and just a much nicer look to it. I absolutely love it so far. I will have to see how it holds up but so far it seems much better.

It's not that I like Tasco soo much just that I like it a ton better than my Leupold and it's lasted quite a bit longer with no repairs.

You can say the Leupold was the cheap model all you want and I don't dissagree however, even being the cheap one it still was over $200 so there is no reason a $30 scope should last longer than a $200 one. $200 is not and I repeat not cheap.

I love my Simmons Deerfield too but it's on a .22 so it doesn't have to stand up to recoil. So far though I think the Burris may be the clearest yet. Although the Simmons isn't unclear either it may be close.

I just like the Tasco a lot better than the Leupold that's all. I'm not saying I like it better than any other brand out there.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I didn't get the cheapest model. That would be the Rifleman but I do agree I didn't get an expensive model. I also got the cheapest model Tasco sells and yet it still manages to last over twice as long as the Leupold will last inbetween breaking. Cheapest model from Leupold or not it's still a $220 scope that should last longer than a $30 scope and be clearer than a $30 no matter how you look at it.

There is also no reason the Leupold should lose zero as easily as it does if the Tasco and Simmons I have don't. You touch this thing wrong and you should expect to have to adjust it.

I however love the Burris I replaced the Leupold with. It's way clearer than the Leupold and just a much nicer look to it. I absolutely love it so far. I will have to see how it holds up but so far it seems much better.

It's not that I like Tasco soo much just that I like it a ton better than my Leupold and it's lasted quite a bit longer with no repairs.

You can say the Leupold was the cheap model all you want and I don't dissagree however, even being the cheap one it still was over $200 so there is no reason a $30 scope should last longer than a $200 one. $200 is not and I repeat not cheap.

I love my Simmons Deerfield too but it's on a .22 so it doesn't have to stand up to recoil. So far though I think the Burris may be the clearest yet. Although the Simmons isn't unclear either it may be close.

I just like the Tasco a lot better than the Leupold that's all. I'm not saying I like it better than any other brand out there.
I have had the "cheap" Leupold scope (Vari-X II)for 10 years now and ithas never lost zero, not once. I also don't just hunt from a stand either, Istill hunt andI can be pretty rough on my rifle a scope (a few scratches on my rifle, a few dings on my scope). It is tough as nails and one of the best purchasesI've made. From my experiences withTasco optics, I wouldn't put one of those on my pellet gun.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

I agree that Tasco isn't that great but since I have the only range with a good concrete bench in this area, except for one members only club, I get to see many scopes in action. And I don't see the same trend you guys preach about.
From what I've whitnessed I'd much rather have a Nikon or Weaver than a Lepould! Even a better Simmons seems as good as many Lepoulds.
You know that Mercedies Benze dealers have a repair shop, cause they break too!
The harsh reality is that there are many more of us that can afford a Simmons,Tasco,Bushnell, or BSA than can own a rack full of Lepoulds, Ziess and some other over priced and over hyped super scopes.
In fact rather than suggest that someone go back and check their mounts and rings for alignment and tightness, (as you would ifit were a lepould) you simply tell them their chosen scope is junk, go spend a bunch of money thatthey don'thave, and yes B C I was sending that one to you!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I thought was odd is I was talking to a buddy today whom is a pretty good shot and very much into guns. Has quite a few of them himself. Anyway, I was telling him how I had to send my scope back for a second time and he said that he had just experienced this. He has never really bashed much of Leupold before but said that he was helping a buddy sight his rifle in and it was re adjusting itself all over the place just like mine was doing. Sounded exactly like what mine was doing. He said they sent it in and had it back in about a week so he didn't think it even got worked on in that time but he didn't know. He just said it didn't seem like they had time to do anything to it but I guess we will all see. I find it odd that his is having this problem too. Since a few people I know have had issues with Leupolds and I honestly only know a few that have Leupolds I only know one or two people that have used them and not had a issue I find it hard to believe you guys are having that good of luck with them unless you are just getting lucky. As said above there are also a ton and I mean ton more Simmons, Tasco's, Bushnells, etc's out there than the high end brands so of course you are going to see more fail since soo many more of them are out there.
As for BSA that was mentioned above everyone I've ever talked to that used one said they were complete crap if they were on anything with more recoil than a .22. I've got no first hand experience though.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Simmons on my 30/30, and a Simmons on my 7mm mag. Neither one held their point of impact, and after 2 sets of mounts on both rifles, loctite etc, I gave up. Pulled the scope off the Marlin, and bought a VariX-III for the 7mm. Problems went away, and much clearer. Bought a 300 ultra, used the old Simmons on it, until I sprung for a VariX-III on it as well. Some tascos Ive seen have been clear, but all of those have been of the more expensive models. If you think a $30 tasco is good though, go check out the $200-400 variety of scopes. Someone on this site said long ago, spend more on the glass you put on the rifle then on the rifle itself.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Last year while hunting in northern Minnestota during 20 degree temperatures I saw the cross hairs on my brother in laws Tasco scope just fall apart from the cold. He did not have a back up firearm and could not hunt the rest of the weekend. I told him to get a real scope, but instead showed up the next year with another Tasco. Needless to say he misseda 30 yard shot on a nice 8 point buck. Yes, he wounded it and it was lost. I now refuse to take a hunter serious if they show up with a Tasco.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 AM

i had a simmons scope on my 7 wsm and i could not get it to sight in for the life of me finally after about 20 rounds i noticed the reticle was loose inside the scope. all i can say is you get what you pay for. i now have burris optics on all my rifles and could not be happier.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Spike

well so far i was happy with my tasco until now. i bought the scope in march (had to keep it in the budget). well sat. doe hunting i went to look through my scope and it was reaaly hazzy looking. i just happen to glance at the other side of the scope (gun unloaded of coarse) and it was all fogged up!!! im gonna see if they will fix this one under warenty, but i will be geting something better next hunting season.