Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

?? about new rule

Old 02-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Default ?? about new rule

IBO 2007 rule changes and more
IMPORTANT CHANGES FOR 2007

III. EQUIPMENT

A. GRAINS PER POUND AND ARROW SPEED

1. Arrows must weigh at least five grains per pound of the bow’s maximum shooting weight unless the archer’s equipment qualifies for the exception set out in paragraph 2 below. Shooting weight is defined as the bow’s maximum draw or thrust weight, whichever is greater. A variance of 2 pounds of draw weight shall be allowed for bow scale variation. Equipment qualifying in this paragraph (A)(1) shall have no limit on arrow speed.

Note: With this change please note the grain allowance for arrow weight is removed

The following rule now reads:

4. IBO recommends that archers do not exceed manufacturer’s recommended limits on arrow weight and draw weight.

Does this mean, if I'm shooting a bow with a maximum draw weight of 70 lbs., but I'm shooting it at say...65 lbs., my arrow still must weight at least 350 grains? Will I be allowed to shoot a lighter arrow as long as I don't exceed 280fps?

Just need a little clarification...Thanks[/align]
Old 02-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Default RE: ?? about new rule

5grains per pound or 280 fps..........
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 PM

I asked the same type of question, after I read the new rule. Here's how I understand the answer I received. Under 280 fps,grainsdoesn't matter. If you declare bow weight then use the 5 grain rule. This is how I understand the 2 lbs. variance. On your scale at home, your bowpulls 65 lbs = 325 grain arrow, 2 pound variance means bow pulls 67 lbs on shoot scale, arrow weights 325 still ok. Bow pulls 67 pounds on shoot scale arrow weights 324 grains = DQ'd.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks, Paul. I was hoping Bowpro would come on & help me. The way I read it is...the weight that is used is the max. poundage that the bow can be adjusted to....example: 60-70 bow being shot at 65 lbs. would still have to have an arrow weighing 350 gr....I could be wrong, I was once
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM

BowPro is in Alabama for the first leg of the Southern Triple Crown. I have been at the Pro and Semi Pro check stations at the National Triple Crown and have checked hundreds of the Pro's bows. I attended the meeting when the directors changed the rule. The rule was changed so it is clear that you can not get arrow weight AND bow weight exceptions for scale variations. The scales used at each shoot are the official scale at that shoot. The bow is weighed on the official scale and that is the weight used. The arrow is weighed on the official scale and that is the weight used. You can thensubtract 2 poundsfrom the weight of the bow for scale variations. Example, IBO weighs bow at seventy pounds and the arrow weighs 340 theequipmentwould be legal because of the 2 pound bow weight reduction for variations in scales. 68 X 5 = 340. If your arrow weighed 339 grains= DQ.
Pete Banks
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 AM

Thank you, Pete
Old 02-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Is it still the shooters choice on how to be checked weight or speed? And is the speed limit 280 + 3%?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 AM

You still have the speed option. The official chronograph at that shoot is used.288 is the max. number. 289 onthe official chrongraph and you are DQed. We get very few DQ,s inthe coarse of a year, but it does happen a couple times a year. Note! Parents, please do not push the limit on your childs bow!!!!!!!!!! The look on a childs face when they are told their bow is WAYYY over poundage, that their parent set up, makes me want to throw up.
Pete
Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 AM

My equipment was checkedat the 2nd leg of the nationals a while back. The offical asked me if I wanted weight or speed? I chose speed.Because I knew my equipment would probably not pass on the scale. He didnt have a chronagraph at the checking station. So he said hecouldnt check my speed,and he would check me on the scale. Itold him the way I understood it that it was my choice weight or speed,he said that it was my choice but he was going to put my bow on the scale anyway. He asured me that I would be ok.He checked my weight,I guess just for show,then he signed my cards and sent me on my way.Is it always the shooters choice even if the equipment to checkit is notat the check point.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 AM

The rule is now structured so that if your equipment meets either portion of the weight / speed criteria you will be ok. Max bow weight will be how the bow is currently set up, not nessesarily it potential. Example: Female classes have a 60# max. They can use a 65# bow with the weight adjusted down to 60#. The arrow weight must also balance to what the bow is "set-up" at.Keep in mind, your equipment may be checked for any or all of the specs which apply to your specific class. Maxdraw weight applies to all classes. Some have arrow, sight, stabilizer or other restrictions which may be the standard we will be looking for. Please,the year is just getting started. Lets see if we can make it through with everyone staying within the rules, and as Pete suggested, Parents, we as well as your kids are trusting you to keep their equipment legal.Don't let them down by pushing the limits too hard. It seems like every year some poor kid pays the price for a parent trying to gain an advantage for their child. Lets try real hard to avoid that this time around.
Chris Turner