Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's that rule? >

What's that rule?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's that rule?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's that rule?

...to determine what poundage you should be shooting?

If you can sit on the floor cross-legged and hold your bow straight out in front of you (not to the side or pointed up in the air) and draw it back slowly andsmoothly without strain or shaking then the poundage is correct. Correct?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Default RE: What's that rule?

Another good one is if you can sit with your back against the wall with your feet straight in front of you, facing towards the target (sideways) and draw back comfortably...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Another one is to get in your stand at 4:00AM with the temp at 14 degrees and sit there until you see a buck at 8:15.....and see if you can pull it off.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM

I personally lock my knees onto monkeybars, hang upside down with full gear on, and try to pull my bow back left handed. If and when i pass this test, I know I'm not overbowed.

EDIT: forgot it must be in subzero temps.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget, "after being kicked in the nuts by a third grader because you're playing on his monkey-bars."
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another one is to get in your stand at 4:00AM with the temp at 14 degrees and sit there until you see a buck at 8:15.....and see if you can pull it off.

I tried that one once this year and it resulted in a 10pt.

Reason I ask guys, is 'cause I wanna make sure I'm regurgitating it right when I ask a certain cockyish Drenalin owner I know to do it. He's one of those guys always runnin' his mouth about poundage but I see him skying his bow on every shot. I could break 75lbs back too if I did that but it doesn't mean it's where I should be hunting at. And I could just tell him that but he's one of them "I'm rubber you're glue" kinda guys. He wont pass on a demonstration though.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I personally lock my knees onto monkeybars, hang upside down with full gear on, and try to pull my bow back left handed. If and when i pass this test, I know I'm not overbowed.

EDIT: forgot it must be in subzero temps.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Check the buck on YOUR left in my avatar He came calling that morning at 8:15

I've seen video of some guys on here shooting....and they do the sky thing, too. Hard sell.....this shooting lower #-age thing. People either think you'r einsulting their manhood.....or the other guys shooting th elower #-age think you're one o f the guys who MUST be overbowed if you're shooting over 60.

Newsflash......there are MANY, MANY people who shoot higher poundage bows that handle them JUST FINE
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Check the buck on YOUR left in my avatar He came calling that morning at 8:15

I've seen video of some guys on here shooting....and they do the sky thing, too. Hard sell.....this shooting lower #-age thing. People either think you'r einsulting their manhood.....or the other guys shooting th elower #-age think you're one o f the guys who MUST be overbowed if you're shooting over 60.

Newsflash......there are MANY, MANY people who shoot higher poundage bows that handle them JUST FINE
Dont you have 60 lb limbs on order?[8D]
Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rule is shoot what ever makes you happy as long as you are proficient with it.

Quick Reply: What's that rule?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.