Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Saw a 10 pt buck today >

Saw a 10 pt buck today

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Saw a 10 pt buck today

Old 03-26-2005, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Saw a 10 pt buck today

Went to the woods today in riga and took one step in the cornfield found both sides to a small 7.walked the other half of the field found nothing else.Most of the woods still had a lot of snow.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:15 PM

I also have been seeing a 10 pt around where I live. What effects how long a buck keeps its rack? Is it nutrition?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 PM

I can say some things effect why deer shed early, but not as sure why late. Early is easy, its almost always stress related, either fatigue, injuriy or even sudden poor feed. It drops the testosterone production, and off go the antlers. On the other side, keeping them so long, Im not so sure, but I have a hunch. Last two years my bucks were carrying their antlers into March and even April. No big deal, as they started new growth right away. But, I always liken antler growth to a barometer of the animals health or condition. So, I figured maybe the high energy/protein feed might be the culprit. That is, not having a stress "trigger" for the shedding to occur at the same time as the wild deer. So I pulled the grain and left just hay for a week. Hay is great for them, but the change seemed to do it. They all seemed get "synchronized" and shed. This year all went very well, the regular shed dates were matched, and the late shedders shed on time with the rest of them.

So, maybe the high octane food plots out there are keeping the deer healthier and the deer arent being stressed as much. I dont really know, but as long as the antlers are big Im happy.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out on Saturday looking for the sheds of the giant 14 point that lives on my place. I didn't find any which isn't surprising considering he was seen twice the next day (Easter Sunday) crossing my driveway while still wearing both sides!