Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my buck today. >

Got my buck today.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my buck today.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got my buck today.

Warm rainey & windy is what today is like in south western CT. 60 degrees in Jan just aint normal. Not here anyway. Went in to work hoping there was shop work for me as I'm not working outside in this weather but it wasn't to be. Shot the bull for an hour with the boss & went home. Turned into mister mom & brung the kids to school, warshed some dishes & then started doing laundry.
Was wondering how my wife does it all & works too when I brought another load down the basement & got side tracked in my archery corner. Putzed around a bit & started day dreaming about deer playing ring around the rosy around my blind in the woods. I figured, what the heck, I'll go hunting for a bit. She has to work at 5 but if I hurry I can get a solid 4 hours in so off I went.
This is a pic of the way into this spot.

A pic of my blind from the trail in.

The owner & his wife were in the drive when I got there so I said hello, grabbed my pack & headed out. I usually suit up at the truck but went into the blind first this time. Good thing I did because as soon as I got my face covered up & looked around here comes an 8 pointer down a trail thats gonna put him 25 yards away in less than a minute.
He comes in without a care in the world stopping to paw the ground looking for acorns the squirrels buried every now & again. He looked over his shoulder a few times & I took advantage of one of these turns to draw & something spooked him, not me I dont think but who knows. Anyhow he does a quick flip flop turning around & moving a few yards further away. He still aint looking at me but now he's a few yards beyond the trail. I'm a bad judge of range but since I know the trails 25 yards I held my 30 yard pin behind his shoulder & let her fly watching my arrow go high & thinking I blew it, but no, a direct hit on the spine & he dropped on the spot. Paralized from the shoulders back he couldn't move. I waited for him to settle down & put one where its supposed to go behind his shoulder finishing him quickly. Turns out he was only 26 yards away so basically my 20 yard pin woulda been perfect. Like I said I suck judging yardage.
Here he is.

My wife said I look like a terrorist but dont worry cuz it just aint so, unless you got brown fur & live in the woods your safe from me.
This is a pic of where I guess he shoulda been looking.

The only down side is I got tunnel vision when I saw him & never noticed he was with company. After the second arrow I heard some ruckus from behind the small rise he came around & saw 3 more deer hightailing it out of there, 2 does & a buck & he looked to have a bigger rack. Now dont get me wrong, I'm proud of the deer I got, he's a trophy to me big time.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Got my buck today.

Great job!

Nice pics and cool story, congrats Leverdude!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and nice pictures.

Tom
Old 01-18-2006, 03:56 PM

i was thinking the same thing when i saw that 4th picture nice deer btw
Old 01-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, awesome deer! Aren't you glad that will to hunt inside ya makes you go out that extra minute early!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats....good story and buck! This is some crazy weather we are having this year!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck my man, glad you went hunting. I like your pics.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, congrats

Old 01-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Nice story and good buck! The pictures are great too!!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! Connecticut is still open?Ny has been closed for almost 4 weeks.I may have to plan on a road trip next winter!

Quick Reply: Got my buck today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.