Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pistol Permits in NY >

Pistol Permits in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pistol Permits in NY

Old 03-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pistol Permits in NY

I was wondering the process to buy a pistol in ny after you have a permit. on Jan. 5th I put my permit in for Onondaga county where I reside but someone told me once you get your permit you have to go back and forth several time between where you buy the pistol and the sheriff's office for proof of purchase and serial # ect. ect.. I also heard that there is a 21 day waiting period once you purchase the pistol to bring it home. If anybody in this county can help me out I would appreciate it.Thanx
Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistol Permits in NY

The reason I ask is cause I want a pistol to carry when I check my traps if I should happen to see that big buck
Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

in Albany county, once you get appreoved for your permit, you will get a letter instructing you to go to the courthouse. then you will get your permit AND a "purchase coupon" , which you can get ONE pistol with. AS in, pick it out, pay for it, take it home.

all other purchases are subject to amendment approval, which means you pay a deposit on the gun, bring the serial # and info to the courthouse, fill out papers, and wait for approval. (up to 2 weeks) usually 3-4 days depending on the judges desk. (cluttered or empty)

then, you get a letter, pick up your amendment, and bring it and the balance due to the gun shop and get your new pistol.

and in albany, getting the parking spot is the tough part. parking at the couthouse is a pain in the rear.

and if you get the wrong judge, good luck. they have thier own agendas, "black list guns" that they wont give amendments for, it really sucks.

MY OPINION, if you ever wanted a "wierd, non practical gun" like a ar-15 pistol, tec-9, uzi pistol, etc... buy it FIRST, with the coupon! that way you don't need approval from a judge. Because, if he/she thinks the gun youre trying to amend to your permit is "dangerous" you'll get denied.

good luck
-moose
Old 03-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pistol permit regs are different in each county. You need to check with the Onondaga Co. clerk to find out what the process is.

I got mine in Cayuga Co. and now reside in Chenango Co. I kept Cayuga as my processing Co. If I want to buy a pistol, I get a coupon, get gun, fill out an amendment form and send to Cayuga Co. clerk, the I'm all set. In Chenango Co. the process is different. In Broome it is different.

Call the Onondaga clerk.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Getting the permit is chore enough. Took me six months before I had an interview the state police for my permit. The trooper had a big dislike for my Dad, and denied it. The county judge is a very good friend of the family, told me if I really wanted it he could over-rule the trooper or I could wait another six months and try again.

Because of some political BS between the judge and the troopers at that time, I chose to wait.

Its the one thing I do not miss about NY.

This was in St. Lawrence County.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM

I Live in Onondaga county(Nedrow) Alls you have to do Is Take your reciepts down to the sheriffs office, right in the front door. Hand the lady your Reciept, She will give you A Tiny bit of paper work to fill out. She will type the Pistol info on the permit, Pay $3 For adding as many guns at one time, and your done. Seeing your Just getting your permit, You will get a NIC card that Is saying your Clean. Its good for 5 years and wont cost you any extra.

Easy as pie. You take the green coupon to the store, And Pick up your Pistol.

I Have an appointment on the 15th of april to get my paper permit updtaed to the Credit card type. It holds 12 guns per card.

Hope this helps you. Theres NO 21 day wait Period. Ive put 3 pistols on mine in 3 weeks so far last month took all of 20 minutes.

BTW i have a Carry permit

Harry
Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx Harry. How did you happen to get a carry permit??? I have not heard of any one getting one except for my buddys who are cops or correction officers.Thank you for the clariffication on the process. I still have yet to hear on mine but it has been about two months.