Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Attention NE hunters! >

Attention NE hunters!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Attention NE hunters!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Attention NE hunters!

Champlain....I spend enough time in the north woods to have my opinions and to have seen more than my share. I make part of my living in the woods. And when I tell you that alot of vermonters are jackin deer up there, I mean it. When a guy is going home at first light after a long night trackin in the dark, I have a problem with it. When truckloads do it, there is a problem with it. I'm just letting you guys know what my and others experiences have taught us. Obviously, not all vermonters do it....but more than enough do. I couldn't care less if they kill every deer in vermont. I hunted there once, and will never go back. i PASSED UP A 4 POINT ON MY FIRST NIGHT, and when someone at the store asked me how my hunt was going and I told them about passing the 4 point, everyone in the store looked at me like I had 3 heads. A couple guys even commented that you don't pass up deer here. I'm glad that you are all proud of your state....stay there. Cuz next there won't be a big buck to be found in Maine. The truth is the truth. And yes, your state is known in the northeast as being chock full of poachers...sorry to be the one to break the bad news to ya.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like we all agree,poaching is a problem.
Here in PA poaching is getting worse because areas of state land are approaching being void of deer.These poachers can't find a way to kill deer while they're hunting so they go poach on private lands.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks DLUC for your correct analysis. Poaching is a real bad trait that a small percentage of hunters in every state do. It is breaking the law and there are always going to be those that don't follow the rules. Moose you have your opinion about Vermonters and I guess that I can't change it so I won't even try. Have a nice day. We sportsmen need to police ourselves and educate those that don't follow the rules. The antis are always looking for any excuse to point fingers and we don't need to help them.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:35 AM

I guess I've been living under a rock, I'll bet I've seen a total of a dozen Vermont plates in my area since I've lived here. Maybe it's because I live in Warren county (about as far north east as you can get other than Erie), but I see alot more Ohio plates than any state I can think of. I hunted in Ashtabula county this year and have seen the biggest deer of my life there. So why spend the 100 bucks plus, to hunt in a state that doesn't even have Sunday hunting? I'll tell you why, because they get a one week shotgun only season (in most areas). They do have a wonderful archery season, even longer than Pa, but who the hell wants to hang from a tree in 15-20 degree weather at the end of January?

We all have scum poachers in our states, but most of those are locals. They would almost have to be. Unless you live very close to the state border.

The thing that does worry me is when I go coyote hunting at 2:00 am and a DER Jeep drives by while I'm getting my shotgun out of the backseat, and they don't even stop to ask what's going on. That happened to me about a week ago. Not that I want to be hasseled while I'm sitting in the woods and or field, but why not stop and ask while I'm standing on the side of the road?

That my friends is unsetteling.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

ok, i cooled off a bit about the poaching thing, but that's only because it's been so damned cold up here i didn't have a choice. i guess the obvious question for moose is.. if you think/know/believe that the guys are jacking deer, why the hell don't you get on the phone to your local warden/cop, and let them know? get a license plate, for christ's sake, if you are close enough to see a green plate, then you are close enough to get at least a partial tag number. how many times have you seen an actual blood trail leading to a vehicle? if you think that poaching is happening, and don't believe that the warden can get there on time, what is your excuse for not trailing the guy to see where he goes? sounds pretty simple to me. i have been guiding guys from maine for the last 3 years down here for turkey, and have yet to hear such a comment out of their mouths.. maine is known as a tough state against those that break their game laws, most guys i know wouldn't dream of doing something wrong there. it used to be you lost your license, weapon, vehicle and most likely did some time for breaking the law, not worth it if you ask me. i bet your locals are the ones that are far more likely to be doing any poaching, they know the warden's schedule far better than someone who is only there to hunt for a few days, and can run an animal home to a safe spot quicker than an out of state hunter ever dreamed of doing. maybe mainers are just jealous in your area because the vermonters are far better hunters than they ever dreamed of, have to have some kind of excuse to use. still think the mainiacs are stealing tags in the summer and slapping them on in november, lol.
Pat
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I highly doubt the reason the Vermont deer population is in dire straights is because of poaching..........I've never heard a good thing about the deer management in that state for 30+ years, seems to me it's a management issue, and nothing more.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Phil you hit the nail right on the head. That is why many of us hunt other states. When I hunt the big woods of New Hampshire and Maine the majority of the vehicles I see way back in the bush are Vt tags. Believe me all these Vt hunters are not poachers, they are hunting and tracking and thankful they can hunt such a wonderful place.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:17 PM

The lighter side......
http://home.frontiernet.net/newsdeta...?cat=1&id=9427