Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATTENTION all elk hunters

Old 05-30-2004, 10:12 AM

Default ATTENTION all elk hunters

After applying for 21 years my dad finally got his elk tag for Custer State Park in South Dakota, needless to say he is estatic. So I was hoping you guys could supply some helpful information or tips about hunting elk, what tools or gadgets to get(calls, scents) , what size and kind of bullet (7 MM), or any other important tactics. A person can only have one tag in their lifetime for the park and the success rate is in the high 90's and from what I've heard the bulls grow quite large. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Default RE: ATTENTION all elk hunters

MagnumSD,

21 years just to get a tag. Once in a lifetime opportunity. We can talk about all sorts of this and that, I only have one piece of advice....

Find someone local that knows the ropes to take you and guide you. Your opportunity is too rare and precious to squander it on learning how....

EKM
Old 05-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't mention what time of year you are hunting (Rut, post rut), however, you should get a cow call regardless of when the hunt is. As far as bullet, his 7mm should do just fine and I would use a 175 grain nosler partition or other premium bullet (trophy bonded bear claw, failsafe, X bullet, etc.)

Good luck
Old 05-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Spike

Congrats;
This is a great hunt! The park is approx 80,000 acres and holds about 1200 elk in Sept. The elk are bugling and you will see lots of elk. Use your deer gun (.270 or larger) with good bullets. Elk are so much hardier than deer. It will possibly be warm in Sept but could rain up there. I was there in Oct for a cow hunt and it was bitter cold and I was there last year for a late season archery hunt and it was in the mid 60's for most of the 11 days that I hunted. Get in good shape! Be ready to get the elk out, they are very liberal about retrieval once you have one down but you have to get the hide off soon. The elk are everywhere. The burn is very popular to hunt bc/ you can see a long way. It is hard to get lost but Nat Geographic makes a good waterproof topo of the area that is my favorite and will help w/ your hunt. Have good broken in hunting boots and be ready to hoof it. I would spend a lot of time scouting this summer.
Good luck.

Brad
Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

MAGNUMSD Have you or your dad ever hunted elk before? If not you might want to consider Elkkampmaster advice! A hunt like this should not to be blown on a learning experience. I have been hunting elk, (I'm 30) along side my dad since I was old enough to walk with him, started carrying a gun at a legal age of 12. I mostly bowhunt now. Trying to give you advice on how to elk hunt, if you never have elk hunted before. Would be like trying to tell you, to take a drink out of a fire hydrant, and not spill any water. If the area has the potential for a big bull in the 350 class or bigger. You'll want someone who knows what a 350 bull looks like. Most people who have not hunted elk look at a 270-300 class 6 point bull and think it's a 350 class bull or bigger. But if you can't hunt with anyone that could show you the ropes. Then the next best thing would be to learn about the area, with weekly scouting trips. You should do this anyway with the person who could help you out. As far as trying and learning to call I wouldn't if I were you. Sure a simple cow call could help any time of year. But there is definately times to call and times not to call. Again you don't want to make a mistake with calling, on once in a lifetime hunt. Plus having someone aboard who allready knows their stuff about calling can benifit you greatly!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:17 PM

He has hunted elk one other time so he does have some experience. He has been talking to people that have hunted the park so he does have some idea of where to go. There might even be somebody hunting with him, im not sure. We are both just trying to make sure he is going to have everything he could possibly need, because he wants to do everything right.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:54 PM

MAGNUMSD,

Did he get an elk his one time out and how long ago was it?

How familiar is he with the area he is going to hunt (navigating it in the dark)?
How many scouting trips are anticipated?
How many hours is Custer from where you live?

It is nice that there is a high success ratio, of course that would make one feel just that much worse if one fails to capitalize on the 21 year opportunity.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 06-16-2004, 11:40 PM

MagnumSD,
I may be able to help you with your dads hunt. I live in RC and have quite abit of experence in elk hunting here in the hills. I have helped several with elk hunts. Let me know if I can help.