Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ATTENTION ELK HUNTERS

Old 01-31-2002, 01:15 PM

Default ATTENTION ELK HUNTERS

How successful have you been at bugling? If you bugle to ten bulls how many would say actually come in to bow range? What situations do you tyipicaly bugle ing?
Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 PM

Default RE: ATTENTION ELK HUNTERS

If your hunting public land bugling will often times scare the bull away. It still works to run along ridge tops bugling before sunrise then once you hear a bull you can creep closer into range and try cow calling. Bulls are starting to get leery of cow calls now also. In limited hunting areas or private land bugling still works pretty effectivly. Depends I guess where you are hunting. I have had bulls bugle at me but I have never called one in all the way.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:32 PM

flattop is right on the money . we usually bugle to locate the bulls but once found we run like hell straight at them till ya think your within a couple hundred yards then cow talk em in but in areas of high pressure none of this will work
Old 02-01-2002, 10:43 AM
Spike

If you are hunting unpressured elk, then I would say that you would get a response of some sort, (racking, bugle, mew, run at, bark, etc.), 3/4 of the time. Now its a different story with them coming into bow range. I have never directly bugled one into bow range. Usually I will get a response when I am locate calling. Then some time later (half, hour or even two hours later), I'll have a bull come in. Usually cow talk will work when they come in close.

One of my best hunts involed spike bull calling and cow talk to a herd bull and 3 satellite bulls about a mile and a half away. After about an hour of calling to them, they just laid down and went to bed. Well my brother and I decided to try sneaking up on them. Just as we were going we saw the 3 satellite bulls get up and come toward us. It took them an hour to come to us. They walked up to 60 yrds and stopped. Just as soon as my brother cow called to get them to come in, another hunter came over the hill on an ATV. Well needless to say those bulls didn't hang out very long. But it just goes to show that patience is very important. You never know when that bull will come in.

BM

...Rocky Mountain High...
Old 02-01-2002, 07:34 PM

I have a friend that bugle at a bull that came running in a half mile away. But he didnt get it. The next day we got a 6 buglen and messed up on him. I will say that it was all my hunting buddies fault. Now Roy or Joe. Dead 6 point.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:41 PM
REG

I have good success bugling. I mostly hunt areas that don't get much pressure, I've killed four bulls by bugling them in. One day I called in five bulls at once, I know this sounds like B.S but it's 100% true. We saw fifteen bulls that day and called in seven inside forty yards and never got a shot. I hunt mostly in the timber (lodgepole pine) the best way I've found to get them to come in close is to be very aggressive in breaking branches and stomping around and bugling like the biggest bull in the woods, I make a tremendous amount of noise I probably look like a mad man. I have been caught by elk a few times, they just stand and stare like they can't believe it. I know this is completely opposite of what most people say, but it works for me.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

How far away is the bull when you revert to cow calls?

SOUTHERN MAN.
"GO HARD OR STAY HOME"