Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bear checking  Question >

Bear checking Question

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear checking Question

Old 11-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bear checking Question

Bowhuntercop, when you checked in your bear last year what credentials did you need? was it like checking in a deer where all you need is your hunting license and zone permit. A friend of mine wants to borrow my gun on the days I won't be going and if he gets a bear will he be ok?
Old 11-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear checking Question

Ok heres the low down on the law here in NJ, and what you need when checking in your deer, and or bear during the 6 day shotgun season.

1) firearm hunting license
2) bear tag
3) make sure the animal is tagged and filled out correctly, there is always a chance of a SOB who would love to play COP, and write you up
4) alot of you guys may not know this and you will not find it in the NJFG&W Digest....At all times while hunting, transporting, etc. you MUST carry your NJ FIREARM PURCHASE ID CARD by law. Last year on opening day of the 6 day shotgun season my friend Sean was stopped by Federal Park Rangers, they asked for the card he had it home, thank GOD I was there, and I showed them my Police ID, then they were cool let him go with a warning...Come to think of it, hey Sean you still owe me a Steak/cold beer dinner for getting you out of that jam..Anyway the next day at work I looked it up, and its a true law NJS 2C:58-3 & 2C:39-5, and its on the front of the cards.

As long as you guys carry a card, they wont run a check to see who owns the gun it takes too long, but trust me as a cop, some of these Game Wardens get most of the action during the shotgun deer hunt, and they get all excitied playing COP, so carry the card avoid the red tape BS.
Your friend will be good togo!!!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

You are right about having your card on you. It is state law!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

at the raritan expo a couple years back i talked to the big time gun lawyer NAPPEN and from what i remember he said something about lending a gun to someone is what they call transfer of arms . the NEW JERSEY state law at that time didnt define a distance that you could be from the owner of the gun but he seemed to think a mile or less might be o.k. while hunting. i think the park ranger was bustin balls but if the laws are still fuzzy i would not take a chance. i keep a photo copy with me and the real one at the truck.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the Ferderal Park Ranger asked for it, I really thought he was BSing also, thats why the next day just before roll call I looked it up, and sure enough its in the NJ 2C: Criminal Law Book, and its on our cards. Plus Nappen does know his stuff, he's very good at what he does, but like he said to you "I THINK A MILE IS OK" I wouldn't want to get a fine and or arrested when someone says "I THINK" not good enough for me.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:55 PM

With regards to the Identification Card, how does it work for Non Residents? Here in DE all you need to buy a shotgun is your drivers liscence.

I have my old NJ Firearm Purchasers Card. I'll shove it in my wallet if need be but I'd rather not chance losing it.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

By law you should of handed it in to the police dept. that issued it
Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 AM
jbc

There are exemptions (hunting, target practice) to 2C:58-3 & 2C:39-5 so technically you do not have to have your firearms ID card while hunting. To avoid trouble you should carry it with you if you have one.