Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Question about MD's new "call in" deer checking >

Question about MD's new "call in" deer checking

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question about MD's new "call in" deer checking

Old 10-30-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Question about MD's new "call in" deer checking

With the new MD law this year that requires deer to be checked in over the phone or online, I have a question. Region B requires that in any season (bow, muzzleloader, gun), whenever an antlered deer is killed, two anterless deer must be killed before a second antlered deer is killed. Which leads me to my question...
What is going to stop a non-law-abiding hunter to kill a buck, check it in over the phone, and then check in two antlerless deer even though they haven't been killed, so that he/she can go out and kill a second buck?

I'm just curious... This seems to be a huge loop hole for poachers in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Question about MD's new "call in" deer checking

I agree with your statement. How about the cameraderie at the check in station with kids and adults on opening day and any other check in days? This will not help that factor in getting kids involved in our sport. And one other question, will the system be able to handle shotgun opener's call ins?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 PM

Tristan, your points are valid as well. I always enjoyed taking a look around to see what other hunters took that day...

And to answer your question about the call-in clogging, the MD DNR's website does say that during peak hours (early evening of opening day, etc.) the phone system will be jammed, so you're better off either waiting until the following day to make the call or using the online system instead.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did both of my doe online this year, and it was totally painless. Just enter your tag # and click a couple of drop downs and your done........yes there is some leadway for honesty but I guess people will find a way around anything. I know of guys a few years ago in Balt co that would drive one doe to 2 different check in stations, so the dishonest people are gonna do it anyway.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy is right. There have always been cheaters and outlaws and there always will be. If I spent all my time worrying about lowlifes I wouldn't have time to go hunting. Just do the right thing yourself and turn in any poachers you learn about. The new system is great in my opinion.

Good luck with your hunting...
Old 10-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the online system last week to check in my doe - totally painless and user friendly. I don't mind it at all. My friends have asked the same question about getting the doe quota filled dishonestly to kill a second buck. Yeah, anybody can do that, but I don't think the novelty of this new technology is going to change anybody's ethics. If they followed rules to start with, then it's likely they will continue to do so. Same goes for the rule breakers, they were/are going to do that anyway.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jimbo--I was thinking the same thing from the first I heard about it. Actually, you could kill 2 bucks and check them in as does. There's no accountability--it's all on the honor system. That's good for the honest people, but we all know some poachers who call themselves hunters who won't obey the rules--especially now that no one knows for sure.

I also miss seeing what other guys took, showing off my own deer and getting the actual weight. I have checked in all my deer so far this year online and it wasn't difficult, but I still prefer checking stations.