Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa. deer hunting BAD???? >

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Old 10-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa. deer hunting BAD????

there aren't many rub lines or scrapes around, but the bucks are cruising big time.
I'd rather see the buck than a rub or scrape.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats good,But no one that hunts around my house has seen a buck yet.I was out 2 times,I know that is not alot ,but I have not seen nothing but doe and not many of them. The last 2 years I could drive around here at night and see 60 maybe 80 deer in a 5 mile block ride. gee now I'm lucky to see 3
Old 10-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who killed all of 'em?
Old 10-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have no idea where they went for sure ,but was told by a farmer the hunters on his farm have seen lots of skeletons this year all over.And of course the roads the past 2 years have really taken a toll. Plus there are some guys around here that took the unlimited doe tag situation in 5c very serious and the past 2 years bought dozens of permits and bang away like fools
Old 10-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The skeletons could indicate a coyote problem in addition to overzealous harvesting by some. Would be nice to strike some kind of happy medium with deer densities. Some guys take the bonus tag situation to extremes and become gluttons. Wish we could find some compromise in PA.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:54 PM

We don't have a big coyote problem in 5 C and we didn't have a hard winter. If there are lots of skeletons in a given area they are either the result of poachers, radkills or unrecovered deer killed during the season.

If you believe in the PGC density goal of 6 DPSM in 5c, then those that use their bonus tags are not gluttons, they are doing what Alt wants us to do and that is to reduce the herd by 50%. Since 2 G and the NC conties are below or close to their OWDD gaols ,most of the herd reduction will occur in the southern tier counties where the herds are still double or triple their OWDD gaols.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

K
Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 PM

7 people out today turkey hunting. No one saw a deer on stand, not one jumped one on the way in or out.

Be ready for a quieter rifle season.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM

ive hunted all but 4 days so far, in the AM. and seen only 10 deer all season, all of which were youngins, that i seen mid mountain to down low, all the aldult doe ive seen were closer to the top. i took off work tonight to hunt the evening, and saw 2 yearlings come down the mountain at 5:00. it took me almost an hour to walk back up to the top to my truck and then i heard snorting and stomping that i would say was from mature deer. all the rub lines ive been watching in the middle of the mountain, seem to be staying the same without nothing new in the area. so tommorrow im going to try the flats on the top of the mountains. with so many acorns they dont have to move far. so im thinking the trick is get close to their bedding areas as quietly as possable.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Magnet,
After my mil discharge in 1975 I went to Vale Tech Institute in Blairsville PA. I lived in a mobile home park in Indiana about 15 minutes from IUP. Beautiful country up there.

Anyway - I remember a ton of deer up there in 75-76 and many nice buck. Remember alot of corn fields up there. Wasn't unusual to spotlight 150 + deer on both sides of road on any given night!

Sounds like the deer are still very plentiful up there.

Quick Reply: Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.