Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa. deer hunting BAD???? >

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Old 11-11-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Your right, we all understood that the Mt lion in Harisburg was a joke....but your obtuse posts are no joke.......
Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 AM

Look, we're both on the same side, if we have different opinions,fine, and if I offended you, sorry.

Fact is, we are looking at a lower number of (for the most part) deer statewide, and the PGC is primarily, but not soley responsible. I agree something should be done, but it's nothing we should be bickering about. Maybe I didn't explain myself good enough about some of the issues I mentioned, but, at this point it wouldn't help, it's gotten too involved.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Peace fellows,save your energy to use on the PGC head dimwits
Old 11-11-2004, 09:13 AM

AMEN
Old 11-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

well, you guys are right. and everyone is entitled to his own opinion. so here is mine. Deer numbers are down in a lot of areas. I don't have the option of hunting private land. All my hunting is done on public land.
Our family has a cabin up in Clinton county. About 20 years ago, they clear cut the tops of two of the mountains and the deer population boomed. There is a lot of mature timber up in that area and now that the cuts have grown up, there is a good bit less deer.
The PGC gets its revenue from license sales. Therefore, the number of anterless licenses remains relatively the same year after year. You can't continue to shoot 3 or 4 deer a year in an area and expect to see as many every year. Remember, when you harvest a doe during the rifle season or late muzzleloader season, you are probably killing 3 deer - the doe plus her 2 unborn fawns.
If you want to shoot a doe, do it during the archery season or early muzzleloader season. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:50 PM

Every ones opinion counts but you made a statement there that "The PGC gets its revenue from license sales." Maybe you didn't mean it to come out that way but it is not an accurate statement.

The PGC only derives a portion of its 68million dollar budget from license sales. $37 million last year. That means $31 million came from other sources..... Nearly half of the PGC budget is NOT license dependent.
A few hundred thousand hunters can dig in thier heels and not purchasea doe tag but it will not make a big difference in the 68million+ dollar budget next year. That was why I mentioned earlier that the PGC has already prepared for less license dollars by creating the "friends of wildlife foundation" where large corporations and private anonymous donors can back fill for any lost revenue. And because they donated it, THEY get to say how it is spent. Most are nonhunters, and will not be sypathetic to spending it on pheasant stocking and bear habitat....

And secondly you made another factual error which really jumps out.
"Therefore, the number of anterless licenses remains relatively the same year after year. " ........????

No, they do not remain relativley the same. Just 4 years ago we were only issuing around 690,000 doe tags. Now we are issuing 1,040,000+ doe tags. This is our third year of over one million doe tags, and we have opened up the use of those tags into large WMU's!!!! That makes the tags that are there that much more effective. Exponentially more.

No, we have have had huge increases since 1998 in doe tags numbers.

On those two issues, doe tag #'s and revenue of license sales, you have not been factual.

On the issue of shooting does in bow or in rifle, matters not to the fawns when you kill thier mother. The does drop thier fawns in June, and killing them in Oct or dec makes no difference to recruitment.

it may save six weeks of browse to kill them in bow season, but it has no effect on fawns to harvest does early.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:03 AM

Hey Bob, that's like the third time, at least, that you've posted this picture and comments. Again, it's a nice deer, but not un-common.

Now, if you saw 3 or 4 other bucks like that on the same SGL, well, that would be something.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

MikeE51848, there's nothing wrong with being proud of your trophy!!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second that. I posted my 2000 buck in 2001 because I love reading the replies that say "nice deer" Post it as many times as you want - some guys from PA could use seeing some more deer.