Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa. deer hunting BAD???? >

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa. deer hunting BAD????

In our area, 5B, we have not seen many deer "on stand" in the woods, we were beginning to get discouraged but sightings are up big time since the corn in surrounding areas have come down.

I think we all need to manage the deer herd on a local level, just because we can kill multiple deer doesn't mean we have to kill multiple deer. Fortunately I have some private land to hunt and manage with family, we all purchase multiple licenses but use them with discretion.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:18 PM

5b's deer density goal is 5dpm and your preseason deer number was 27dpm (according to the pgc web page), sooooooooo.... yea, you better hope someone shows some discression. 'cause if they don't your gonna be in 5dpm doo-doo.

herd reductions......'ya gotta love 'em.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

I'm having good luck and seeing lots of deer in 5C and 4C. I sympathize with you north central guys though. The consensus is that deer sightings are way down up there.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:29 AM

what helps us in 5c or 4c is that aren't major tracts of State forest land to contend with.

As we all know state forests make up about 95% of all the DMAP lands. With that added emphasis on harvest the SF's, as you mentioned, the numbers are not as good as in 5c 4c. Lucky.

Of course that brings up the observation that although many try to say that the current deer plan is based on habitat and not what hunters desire is pretty much a falsehood.

The lands under DCNR are DMAP'd for further herd reductions, the State Game Lands that are in the same WMU.......are NOT. ??? That shows that the herd reduction is not based on habitat, its based on who owns the land and what hunters want (which is not low numbers). Because DCNR's lands get DMAP'd, and PGC owned lands do not get DMAP'd.

We got us here, conundrum of sorts.....don't we?

Duelling state agencies. The PGC allowing SGL's not to be DMAP'd so that hunters are not too severely impacted, yet DCNR saying they could care less about hunters and DMAP'ing thier lands to reduce their numbers well below what the PGC dd goals are.

I heard the DCNR guys described as environmental extremists, and I think more and more, that its a pretty accurate label.

A few weeks ago the environmental extremists at DCNR wanted large predators brought into pa to reduce deer. That lame threat was quickly dismissed only to be replaced with the DCNR asking for rifles to be used in all seasons in DMAP areas (state forests mainly).
That is to be discussed in the January PGC meeting.

Yea, 5c and maybe to a lesser extent 4c, are lucky they do not have to deal with the environmental extremests in DCNR.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM

the doe hunting is good the only buck i've seen so far was a spike on opening day and a button buck last saturday,and the dang does wont give me a good shot !!![:'(]
Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM

I hunt Lackawanna & Susq. counties. Spent alot of time in the woods this season already. Private and Public land. The [b]DEER ARE GONE [/b] !!! The state game lands are empty. The game commission is either lying or are misinformed about the size of the deer herd in NEPA. Over harvesting Doe will cause this ! Big Bucks??? Not many being seen. Very few small buck around either... The GC got to go !!! We got alot of squerrils in Pa. Well, give Gary Alt time, they will be indangered too.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I,m really starting to wonder if the deer maybe got some sort of sickness over winter. Again today a guy who manages a estate that has no hunting said the deer disappeared and ask me what I have seen around his area since I drive around it every morning to go get coffee at 4 am. I told him the fields I use to see 50 in I see maybe a dozen anymore.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:46 PM

The lands under DCNR are DMAP'd for further herd reductions, the State Game Lands that are in the same WMU.......are NOT. ??? That shows that the herd reduction is not based on habitat, its based on who owns the land and what hunters want (which is not low numbers). Because DCNR's lands get DMAP'd, and PGC owned lands do not get DMAP'd.
This is an interesting point. Maybe not all the blame rests on Dr Alt? I personally have three DMAP's but will probably not use them.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:56 AM

I'm new to this site, but you really got my attention with this topic.
As of 2 weeks ago, I would have agreed with the deer hunting being bad, but my opinion has changed after I really did some research to find out why the numbers of deer I was seeing was down.
The major reason,( at least for my situation), my norm spots where I could always count on seeing deer has been poor, is that the acorn mast has been absolutely terrible the last 2 years. After I did some serious scouting ( later than I should have ), their patterns have changed to account for a changed food source. Where they used to bed has, in my case, moved to different areas. Although I've always seen them eating in small meadows and greenerys, those areas have historically been the last stop before returning to their bedding area.
Now, all that changes once the rut starts, but where you find does during the rut, you find Hot and Horny bucks.
With one week to go in the Pa. Archery season, I finally adjusted my hunting location and had 2 beautiful 8 points walk by at 25 yards. Unfortunatly, the 1st one did so by sneeking up behind me at about 4:00 pm and didn't offer a shot, and the 2nd one decided to visit while I was hugging the base of the tree with bow on ground and my release in my pocket at about 5:0pm. I made the stupid mistake of getting dejected with thought of the 1st buck not offering his lungs and climbed down with 10 minutes of shooting light left. I WILL NOT DO THAT AGAIN.
In my opinion, the deer in the heavily wooded areas rely so much on acorns, that when they are in short supply, they have to change their patterns so as not to starve.
Does anybody agree or have any other suggestion? I'll bet you do.
By the way, I have heard a rumor that Pa is contemplating opening up hunting on Sundays (about time!!!!!), and I haven't been able to get any background on it. COULD IT BE TRUE ?????
If anybody has any follow up, please send me some info-please!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:51 AM

The major reason,( at least for my situation), my norm spots where I could always count on seeing deer has been poor, is that the acorn mast has been absolutely terrible the last 2 years.
Not so in Carbon County this year, acorns up the wazoo, red and whites.

Quick Reply: Pa. deer hunting BAD????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.