Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Crop Damage Permit Question >

New York Crop Damage Permit Question

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Crop Damage Permit Question

Old 06-29-2004, 05:14 PM

Default New York Crop Damage Permit Question

Hey Y'all;

My partner called and asked me if I wanted to shoot some deer.....well Duh....but October is a long ways off yet. No he said, now, a lady he knows has some damage permits she would like us to fill for her, and maybe hunt on her property next year.

My questions are:

Is it true that you can hunt on a damage permit at night?

Permits are for Dutchess county, no rifles during regular season....but this isn't regular season....so can I use the .06?

Can we eat the deer this time of year if we do get any?

This type of permit is antlerless only right?

I haven't seen the permits yet, but she says she has 6. I'll see them Friday. I've also got a call in to the Region 3 office with my questions, but the person I needed to talk to was out. I'll prolly hear from him tomorrow. Just trying to get a head start.

Anybody ever use these before?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: New York Crop Damage Permit Question

Dont know about newyork but here in pa., No you cant hunt at night,yes you can eat the deer, and no bucks, all season rules apply for crop tags
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I'll be the bad guy. This time of year it's not hunting it's killing! If you shoot a doe. What happen's to here new born fawns they die also.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM

I can help with one question--the hunting at night one. I seem to remember being told that it's legal to hunt until 2AM on a crop damage permit. However, I'd wait for confirmation from Region 3 . . . or I'd call a game warden. They should be listed in the State Government section of a phone book.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:04 PM

Valid Point Hunter60.....but I don't make the rules, and this lady has to make a living. I'm not too familiar with the process, but what I do know is that the DEC doesn't just "give" these permits away.

I haven't done it yet, so I don't know how much it will resemble hunting...I doubt that the deer are going to walk up to me and say "Shoot me!" though. I'm sure there will be some "hunting" involved.

We are already making arrangements to immediatly store (cold) and butcher any animals we are lucky enough to harvest. And this before either of us has loaded a gun. We aren't treating this like a "Killing Spree", We're looking at it like a valid, legal, and welcomed opportunity to harvest some venison (we didn't do so well during the last season only 1 deer between 4 of us) and to provide a service to a landowner that she desperately needs, and which may turn into a mutually beneficial relationship for the future.

I'm sorry you disagree.

ORIGINAL: hunter60

I guess I'll be the bad guy. This time of year it's not hunting it's killing! If you shoot a doe. What happen's to here new born fawns they die also.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 PM

Thanks Muddy.....Guy from Region 3 has yet to return my call....I'll try getting ahold of a ranger or DEC Police tomorrow.

ORIGINAL: Muddyemms

I can help with one question--the hunting at night one. I seem to remember being told that it's legal to hunt until 2AM on a crop damage permit. However, I'd wait for confirmation from Region 3 . . . or I'd call a game warden. They should be listed in the State Government section of a phone book.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year it's not hunting it's killing!
that is the point - get it "CROP DAMAGE"
survival of the fittest - if a young deer can survive than it should, if not, oh well - that is called nature (what happens if a doe is hit by a car and dies??)
by the way, hunting is killing too, the deer are dead either way.

as far as the meat goes, I believe you can keep some, but sometimes the DEC will donate it to needy families (not positive) - wait for the DEC for the actual story

I also believe that night shooting is ok for these permits but again wait for DEC
Old 07-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Ok, here's the scoop. I spoke to Mr. Smith at Region #3 today. Really a nice guy, and very helpful. Turns out they did try to call me back the day I called them....I just missed the message.

The general skinny is that any restrictions will be listed on the permit. Barring any restrictions Hunting at night with a light (or without) is fine and Using a rifle is fine. I didn't think to ask about the antlered/antlerless thing, but I'm sure the answer would be the same....check the permit. General information is all I was looking for, and he was very obliging.

As for the meat.....he said it's excellent this time of year....cooling is the issue. He said it will turn out much better if it is let hang in a cooler for a few days before being cut up and frozen, rather than being butchered and frozen immediately after the kill. He said something about if it is frozen immedately it would be tougher than boot leather.

Anyhow...I've got to call my partner now and give him the scoop...if all goes well I'll have some fresh venison in about 24 hours.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:36 AM

NO HUNTING!! GOT MANDATED TO WORK TODAY[:@]...WEDDING TOMORROW....WORK ON SUNDAY. RATS!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

hunting is killing too, the deer are dead either way.
wow[:-]