Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Definatley Trout in PA creeks now!!!! >

Definatley Trout in PA creeks now!!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Definatley Trout in PA creeks now!!!!

Old 05-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Definatley Trout in PA creeks now!!!!

Well i jsut got home from my camp in Mckean Co. we have a cabin by the allegheny resevoir and right on the south Branch of the KINZUA creek , i spent my wekend fishing both the Main Branch and the South branch , and hittin the lake at night ..... I slammed trout all weekend , i caught 3 saturday when i got there , 16 sunday , and 7 today before leaving... all were around 10 - 15 inches , and i caught a BIG brookie about 17 or so on a Joes Fly without the spinner , jsut kinda drifting the fly along on my spinning reel ... altthough i didnt catch more then about 5 fish out of actual holes , all of the fish were out in small breaks in the current in fast moving water , that was the ticket ... with all the rain they got washed outta the holes id guess.... next time out ill take the fly pole out... the key bait was wax worms!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Definatley Trout in PA creeks now!!!!

Glad to hear of your good fortune. Most of the guys in my neck of the woods are starting to gear up for Bass though there are still quite a few trout guys still out there. I have not been out for awhile but some nice trout have come into the shop over the last week or so.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea around my house here in SW pa , bass and carp r the main focus , but when i go up north to the cold water creeks , i always catch trout , i will catch trout up there in the middle of the hottest day in july , the creeks r jsut loaded with hold outs and fresh stockies , and not to forget the natives! i love the north streams , just u and the animals in the middle of the mountains in the Allegheny National Forest.....

Then at night time , its all about the EYE fishin in the lake!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will agree with that statement........our group of friends made our annual "Memorial Day Weekend" fly fishing trip to a PA stream this past weekend. I bet between the 6 of us we caught a couple hundred trout. Some nice ones at that.
Landed a couple dozen on dry flies. Good friends, Beautiful river, nice hatches, cooperative fish.......no I'm not telling you where.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Speaking of bass Frank, if you want the kid to experience some nice fishing, Leaser Lake has some nice bass hanging around the damn. I took Ally out the other day and rigged up a fat night crawler and a bobber on her Scooby Doo pole. I cast it out about 8 yards for her and she had a couple nice bass (~15") in a few minutes. Pretty neat to watch her pull in something other than sun fish!

On the trout note, the PA hunting and fishing show (?) had a segment on how bad the fishing has been this year and that the commission was listening. That may have been the impetus for the nice stockings now.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:29 AM

Yep, the streams are getting packed with trout now. It is actually nice this way because the fishing pressure is very low! I was out Monday and I pulled a few nice browns out, and I also caught my first palamino. It was about 13" long, nothing huge, and I let him go.

Yesterday I was out at the same stream again, and in between the t-storms, the fishing was awsome. I found 2 more palaminos, but couldn't get them to hit. I caught a bunch of small browns and a 15" brookie. My girlfriend pulled out 2 beautiful rainbows off roostertails that were about 16" long!

Finally, the trout fishing is where it should be!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will agree with that statement........our group of friends made our annual "Memorial Day Weekend" fly fishing trip to a PA stream this past weekend. I bet between the 6 of us we caught a couple hundred trout. Some nice ones at that.
Landed a couple dozen on dry flies. Good friends, Beautiful river, nice hatches, cooperative fish.......no I'm not telling you where
So where are the pics Matt? That high-res. digital camera you have would have proved very beneficial in this instance.

Speaking of bass Frank, if you want the kid to experience some nice fishing, Leaser Lake has some nice bass hanging around the damn. I took Ally out the other day and rigged up a fat night crawler and a bobber on her Scooby Doo pole. I cast it out about 8 yards for her and she had a couple nice bass (~15") in a few minutes. Pretty neat to watch her pull in something other than sun fish!
Thanks for the tip Fred. I have been meaning to take Logan and Michelle out in the canoe up there. We do it every summer. Maybe this weekend at some point. I have to work on the bass opener...and am somewhat glad of that fact as I am sure it is going to be nuts up there.

On the trout note, the PA hunting and fishing show (?) had a segment on how bad the fishing has been this year and that the commission was listening. That may have been the impetus for the nice stockings now.
Are you talking about PA Outdoor Life? I once watched that faithfully but got away from the routine. I had thought that the lack of stockings this year had to do with the Fish Commission losing so many trout at one or two hatcheries over the winter?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

That's the show Frank. They said that the commission put the fish in, but that the large amount of rain prior to the season had spread them out. Makes sense for the streams, but doesn't explain why Leaser Lake doesn't (or didn't) have the trout it did in prior years.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:37 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Tim. Anyone know of any place jumping near me? i am in Woodbury. about 30mi south of altoona. thanks....I am very new to this.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like good fishing