Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting creeks

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default hunting creeks

i have a spot that is off a creek i plan to hunt.

As of about June or early July the creek flooded the eastern bank.
I went in there in mid July. everything was dry and the flood cleaned out alot of brush and weeds on the east side.

I saw alot of trails. one was well used off the back of a thicket i think is a bedding area.
I went back today the creek was dried up down to about 6 inch's deep in most place. the trail crossing spot was dry. It seems they have stopped using the trail. there was some tracks but not near as many as before.

I except it to rain some before Oct and the creek should come up some. plus it is a creek that comes from the lake as the lake water is high the more comes down the creek.

what do you guys think
Is it OK to hunt right on a creek through out the season or will they use it less as the water gets colder and maybe freeze some or does the cold water not matter to them .
Also do they use a certain trail when the water is high then use a different trail when the water is low.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting creeks

I think you be ok to hunt it all season atleast thats the way it is where i hunt there is a path that the deer use all year long that leads right to a creek.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nick Hull

I think you be ok to hunt it all season atleast thats the way it is where i hunt there is a path that the deer use all year long that leads right to a creek.
Or parallel to it. I have seen more deer on my property cruising up and down the creek, they have actually left a trail. I believe its a safety factor for them as well. Deer swim good and arent afraid to jump in and swim to the other side in the case of danger...dogs, etc.

Both deer I shot last year were 20 feet from the creek
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

BIGTIM- I have two stands , one is right on top the creek where the deer cross and one stand about 35 yards from the creek where the trail leads right past my stand and i see deer when i hunt out of them atleast it works for me my. stands are 25 off the ground .
Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had a stand on the bank of a river for about 4 years now, I have shot one buck from that stand in those 4 years. The river is about 30 yards wide, and my stand is about 3 yards from the water. (depending on how high the water is) right now it is about 6" deep, but most of the time it is anywhere frome ankle deep to waist deep. I know that they will come to the water to drink, but they cross it more often than not. There is a trail that is about 10 yards off of the bank of the river, that runs paralel to the river. I still feel that any stand on thre bank of the river is a good stand.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys seems they use it alot i have seen tracks up and down the creek.
It is the only water source within 500 to 1000 yards.
They could cross the road climb up the dam and go to the lake or walk 20 yards to the creek. or walk through the creek walk 1000 yards to the swamp on the other side of the field and creek
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

We have a forty that is all creek bottom. It is maddening to me to try and find out where they will cross that creek. Deer around me will walk in the creek itself and cross wherever they like. I see no pattern to it at all. I've also found it very hard to get a consistent wind in the bottom. Seems the wind swirls alot due to the high banks and terrain contours.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am lucky this is a flat here but the creek bank is around 5 or 6 feet down from ground level to the water. there are places that make it easy to cross so they use those areas. some area are near impossible even to deer
ORIGINAL: wiranger

We have a forty that is all creek bottom. It is maddening to me to try and find out where they will cross that creek. Deer around me will walk in the creek itself and cross wherever they like. I see no pattern to it at all. I've also found it very hard to get a consistent wind in the bottom. Seems the wind swirls alot due to the high banks and terrain contours.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

ORIGINAL: Nick Hull

Or parallel to it. I have seen more deer on my property cruising up and down the creek

Same here. Most placesI hunt, seems like themost "creekruns" aren't going through the creeks, they're skirting along the edges of the bank.