Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone hunt "in" creeks?

Old 11-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Anyone hunt "in" creeks?

So my state's firearm season is coming up and we have our own land. I used to hunt "area 1" all the time for all animals. That was several years ago and since then the majority of it has been put on CPR, there's been logging and a forestfire...the deer aren't moving the same way they used to...so all my boy-hood and highschool scouting has gone to pot. I'm sittin here a college and am unable to scout now. If I had been smart I would've scouted on the weekends I was home instead of trying to squeeze in some extra bowhunting time....but I wasn't. There's a creek that runs right through the middle of the property (we're talking several hundred acres) and there will be hunting pressure during the firearms season. The creek is about 10' wide and usually about less than 1' deep. They have to go down and up a bank that's about 30' and steep on both sides. I'm thinking real hard about just walking out there and making sure the big crossings are still were they used to be and setting up about 50 yards downwind of one in the bottom of the creek and waiting for them to cross.

Has anyone had luck using creeks as pinch points?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Anyone hunt "in" creeks?

I have a great spot this year at a creek crossing. It's on an atv trail in the woods that the deer travel. The creek crossing is one of the easiest places to cross and funnels all the deer. I haven't hunted it in a month and walked out there one day and saw tons of rubs and scrapes surrounding my stand. I've seen many does from it. In short, yes, they can be great spots.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone hunt "in" creeks?

I sit at a junction of a creek and a gully that gets wet when it rains, it's also where my uncle crosses the creek with all his farm equipment and there's two soybean fields, a sudan grass field, and two thickly wooded ridges nearby. Usually the creek crossing is a mess of tracks and I have never gone an opening morning without seeing six or more deer come out of the creek.