Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A challenge to the Alt naysayers >

A challenge to the Alt naysayers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A challenge to the Alt naysayers

Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 AM

Default RE: A challenge to the Alt naysayers

I agree , but it is a fact. The reason is because they assign no habitat value to any land but the 3 classes of forest types and assigns no value to fringe areas,farm land swamps or brush patches.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least the experts admit this is a complex problem and that they have made and will make mistakes while finding the solutions.

As we learn more about our deer and hunters, landowners and others, we'll have much better information to make management decisions. We've made a lot of changes to our deer management program, and we will probably make many more. We can't take this program from where it is today, to where it has to go, without making a lot of changes. And not all of these changes will work, some of them will be mistakes. When we make mistakes, we'll admit them, and then try something else until we solve the problem, and move on.

There is no quick fix. It will take time, a great deal of planning, and a lot of hard work. But none of this will happen, unless we work together.

So why not give em a chance to get it right? This thing has just gotten started.

Alt already admitted the OWDD tables are wrong, therefore your alledged experts are wrong.
Sometimes they are, the difference is that they will keep trying till they get it right. That, to me , is better than sticking your head in the sand and not making any long term changes cause some of those changes may hurt a bit in the short term.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:10 PM

So why not give em a chance to get it right? This thing has just gotten started.
Because they demonstrated no intention that they want to get it right They implemented AR before there was any herd reduction and they implemented AR in SRA counties ,where is no logical reason to have AR.

Sometimes they are, the difference is that they will keep trying till they get it right. That, to me , is better than sticking your head in the sand and not making any long term changes cause some of those changes may hurt a bit in the short term.
Anybody with a sixth grade education would know that 5C can support more DPSM that 2G. The OWDD tables are not a mistake. They reflect the OWDD that were established in 1980 and Alt and the current management team is simply unwilling to revise the goals so that they reflect the true carrying capacity of the habitat.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alt already admitted the OWDD tables are wrong, therefore your alledged experts are wrong.
Got it! Alt admitted to a mistake...... Didn't I just say that?

Anybody with a sixth grade education would know that 5C can support more DPSM that 2G. The OWDD tables are not a mistake.
"They're wrong" , "they're not a mistake".... which is it?

Ahhh the world according to DD

Go ahead, toss some more numbers out to distract us from this one.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:11 PM

Alt knows that mixed farmland and forests can support more deer than the habitat in 2G. Despite that, he released OWDD tables that show 2G can support more deer PSM than 5 C. That was not a mistake, it was obviously intentional. Therefore, they are wrong and it was not a mistake. The PGC has been managing the herd based on the same criteria since the formula was adopted in 1980.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

MikE..............Ouch!! Never posted on that one about the amish????????
As a landowner who wants to reduce the doe population drastically I cant do it now without letting every tom/dick and harry have free run of the estate......NOT

Plus its tough for me to reduce the doe population when the hunting club with 3000 acres next to me does not shoot doe[:@]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illback,have you ever tried talking to these guys next door?That's a tough situation.I don't know what you could possibly do.