Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC has it figured out!! >

DEC has it figured out!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC has it figured out!!

Old 04-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: DEC has it figured out!!

NYBH, I have a couple stands you might want to try out.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm there brother!! I'll be glad to trade some turkeys for deer anytime! Funny thing on the way to the golf course this morning I got pissed at outdoors. I saw more deer this morning than I think I saw in the last 2 seasons lol.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

NY Bowhunter

Sent some of ours north today

Later

Steve
Old 04-09-2004, 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: dvdegeorge

Atlasman, you must be very sore and tired carrying that big chip around
Chip about what?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

Atlas, just wondering since you hunt on so much public land... how would you gauge the number of hunters on state lands today as compared to in the past? When I've hunted state land in the southern tier before it's seemed like there is some heavy pressure, but I don't know how it compares to in the past. All I know is that deer aren't stupid, once the orange army hits the state lands they know it's time to keep a low profile.
My usual stomping grounds has a few more camps since the old days and opening day gun is a borderline fiasco some years but other then that it is about the same with archery being sparse......usually just me and my brothers, maybe another truck or two well down the road......muzzleloader never seen another hunter I think.

You still seem to think that I simply disregard your opinion because you are, in your words, "a lowly uneducated hunter". That really is not the case at all. At the same time I can't just simply take your word as fact just because you want me to, either. Even though you may believe with every fiber of your being that you are right, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are. There are too many variables that could be affecting what you are seeing in the woods.
We are very much the same in our beliefs outdoors........just of opposite views. You choose to believe the DEC because you have more faith in their tactics then you do in the comments of hunters in the field.......which is fair because you say you know more about the DEC then some hunter you never even met. I on the other hand tend not to believe the DEC because I don't have intimate knowledge of what they do or how they do it......other then what they tell me and post on the net and in the yearly writings.......it is a matter of trust really...........and I prefer to trust what is real vs what someone says. Me and my family have seen a gradual erosion of the deer numbers in and around our area for years now and with very few exceptions all the people we speak with have the same opinions.....hunters, shops, taxidermists, clubs.....you name it. They all just shake their heads when someone mentions deer numbers. There is no way that the DEC can be correct if that many people are in agreement as to what is really going on in the woods for hundreds of miles in every direction, multiple counties, different zones, all seasons.

For one thing, I don't know you from a hill of beans, how do I know that you aren't one of those weekend warriors that you just mentioned?
You don't..........just like I don't know if you know the first thing about the DEC or what and how they do things.

Put yourself in the DEC's place for a minute, there are some 650,000 deer hunters in NY, and each one has an opinion. No matter what the DEC does, some people will be happy and some people will be pissed off. The DEC can't keep changing the way they do business everytime someone has a bad opinion of what they are doing, it's just not possible because someone is always going to be unhappy.
Agreed............but they are treading on thin ice with this one because this will have the most dramatic effect on your avg Joe weekend hunter..........which is a huge part of that number. Trophy hunters can take it upon themselves and do QDM till the cows come home if they want and just ignore the DEC and be happy............but avg Joe who depends on state land because he doesn't own his own is not gonna keep going out and beating his head against the trees year after year without seeing any deer.

Cater to the masses...........simple math.

I have never said that no hunter has a valuable opinion to offer... but at the same time the attitude that I seemed to be getting from you was that when someone who has 20 years in the woods under their belt tells me what's what, that I better just sit down and regard it as gospel truth. Maybe that's not what you were trying to say but it sure sounded like it when you started rattling off all the years you and your friends and family have spent hunting. I mean sure, with that much experience in the woods you probably do know a thing or two, but at the same time there is no guarantee of that, not for someone that doesn't know you anyway.
Never said you should take it as gospel.........just don't dismiss it as garbage without even considering it and say "The DEC knows what's going on.....you don't"
Old 04-09-2004, 12:18 PM

Hey NYBowhunter, I'd love to get back up that way hunting some toms, heck Auburn isn't but an hour from here, (Elmira) I used to hunt around that way, Cato, Hannibal, I graduated from Moravia High school, so I would feel right at home.. I saw some good spots for deer this morning hung a stand I think it's got your name on it
Old 04-09-2004, 01:31 PM

Oops I forgot to mention last years list... some of what was on the list was a misprint. Not sure how it happened or why, and I'm not sure how many zones were labeled wrong, all I know is one of the biologists looked at the list when it came out and was like "WTF". Anyway, even though the list might have said HIGH,HIGH if it was supposed to be say HIGH,MED then that is how it was treated when the tags were allocated. So no extra tags were given out because of the misprint.

Well, I don't know anybody that didn't get 2 doe tags last year....or the year before.....or the year before.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM

Dang it! I forgot something else... your 100 acre wood... BTW why isn't Tigger keeping the deer pop. down for you? Lousy excuse for a predator that cat is...

Huh???

Anyway, simple answer, if you told me there were that many deer I would expect to see the signs of the overbrowsing and other deer related damage.
OK well I expect to see that in all the woods the DEC tells me are overflowing with deer also..........but I don't.

If I saw that, I would be confident the deer were there and if I wasn't seeing them I would try to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong.
What if you didn't see it??

The fact is I don't always need to see the actual deer to know that they are there, not when they leave their calling card plain as day. And from my experience, you can find those calling cards in the places that the DEC says have a lot of deer.
Well the DEC must think we have all kinds of deer around here because you can get as many tags as you are willing to pay for every year and while deer sign can always be found (they are extinct) there is definately no signs of overbrowsing.

So you would hunt a plot of land for weeks straight without seeing a single deer and still believe it is full of whitetails??

There are a lot of variables that could prevent you from seeing deer, even though they may be in the area.

That would be a lot more exceptable if the process was a more sudden drop off........WOW all he sudden there are not many deer around. Then something has changed..........but a gradual erosion of numbers when the surrounding enviornment remains unchanged is just not the same situation. There is plenty of food to sustain the deer......in fact I would say more then years ago.

There is no doubt in my mind that the deer just aren't there in the numbers they used to be. We know just about every truck on every road for a couple miles from being there so many years and no one is seeing them..........even if some were seeing them and others not I would say it could be anything. With no one seeing them like we used to there is only one explanation that comes to mind.........and it isn't that every deer figured out how to avoid the hunters.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Atlas, Where is it you hunt again?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: DEC has it figured out!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.