Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC has it figured out!! >

DEC has it figured out!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC has it figured out!!

Old 03-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default DEC has it figured out!!

You HAVE to be joking me!!!!!![:@][:@] What plantet are these people from?? I'm sure this will grow the herd back. I give up I'm moving.[:@]

Year-Round Deer Hunting Proposed
Last Update: 3/31/2004 6:57:29 AM

(Albany, NY) AP 03/31/04 -- A legislative proposal would allow year-round deer hunting on New York farmland to reduce crop damage from foraging deer.

A Cornell University study estimates that deer do some $58 million in damage annually to New York crops. Assemblyman Clifford Crouch says current state programs to shoot deer on farmland are not adequate to prevent significant losses caused by the animals.

According to the Cornell study, hay, alfalfa and grain crops are most susceptible to deer damage. The animals also damage nursery products and fruit trees. Farmers reported the worst damage on Long Island and in the lower Hudson Valley.

Michael Markarian of the Fund for Animals says many states are liberalizing hunting rules to try to reduce deer herds. But he says the efforts often backfire because deer respond by increasing their reproduction rate.

Markarian's group favors non-hunting means of keeping deer away from crops, such as fencing and repellants.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: DEC has it figured out!!

Do you have a bill No. for this I'd like to send my rep a letter.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: alloutdoors

Do you really live in NY??? The deer herd here is certainly not in any need of "growing back".

I do and I agree with him 100%.........there may be spots of dense populations still but on the whole the herd has been thinning for years now finally culminating in the current mess we find ourselves in today.

The DEC better start worrying a little more about the HUGE areas of land that are seeing less and less deer every year rather then a few dense areas of concentrated numbers.

Year round hunting?? As much as I would LOVE to hunt any time I wanted I find it absolutely laughable that anyone would even consider that at this point in time.

[:'(]
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

alloutdoors, How many different counties in NY do you hunt?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

NYB I have two words for you "Reading Comprehension". What you posted has absolutely zero to do with the DEC
thanks outdoorwhatever I can comprehend quite well thank you. I can also comprehend you are a naive moron if you dont' think the DEC and legislation work hand in hand with a bill like this.

Do you really live in NY??? The deer herd here is certainly not in any need of "growing back".
Oh great we have another Danny Boone big bad hunter on our hands. Maybe I'm not doing something right is that what's coming next?? Go play in oncoming traffic.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-01-2004, 07:36 PM

And exactly what would that current mess be? The fact that the buck take was down by 20,000 this year? Do you have any idea how insignificant a number like 20,000 is when talking about the state as a whole??? The harvest was still above average.
GOD.......you are the kind of guy the DEC dreams about. Willing to swallow any line they feed ya. I personally don't care one bit about numbers they pump out. Let me ask you something, how do you know they are telling you the truth......and not just what you WANT to hear?? How do you really know what they do as far as accuracy or reliablility?? You don't. You just take these stupid figures as gospel and run with them.

I personally know over a dozen guys that don't call in their harvests on the DECALS system and I am just one guy!!!.........this is the system you are relying on for accurate reporting of your deer herd.

I prefer to go by what I see with my own eyes year after year for the last 17 years and what my dad and all his friends have seen for the last 40+.........a decrease in overall deer numbers. Sure it has fluctuated but remains in a downward spiral. You ask someone who used to be in the woods when you needed 5 guys just to get a "party" permit and they will tell you about the numbers our "herd" used to have. Groups of 20-30 deer were not uncommon sights........compare that with what you see today.

This has been coming for a long time...........it is only now starting to be noticed by more and more hunters and they are looking for recent scapegoats like winter and coyotes when the real answer is neither.

On top of that, the major reason for the lower buck take was likely the crappy weather that affected most of the state on opening day of gun season in the southern tier, and then again on Thanksgiving weekend.
I hunt the southern parts of WNY and our weather was not bad this year except for a little too much rain for archery. I killed a buck on Thanksgiving day in light pants and the outer shell of my jacket.......beautiful day (in more ways then one )

Those two times are when the majority of guys get out into the woods. Bad luck weather wise on those dates is bound to impact the harvest.
You just said 20,000 is no big deal so I guess it didn't impact the harvest at all right??

Bottom line, it's really easy to be an armchair quarterback.
It sure is.........especially when your armchair has been up a tree for the last 17 years in the woods

Why do you have so much confidence that the DEC is telling you the truth??.........other then they told you they are
Old 04-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 PM

I hesitate to tell you because I think you will then just ignore anything I have to say, but I have worked for the DEC off and on for the past four years.
Doing what?

Anyway, do you really think that we aren't aware that not all deer are called in??? Trust me, this is taken into account. It's quite simple actually. During deer season DEC employees spend a large amount of time at deer processors checking harvested deer. All the information is recorded and the deer are aged. Then all the tag numbers are checked against tags that were actually reported, this tells us the % of people who aren't reporting their tags.
What about all the guys like me and my buddies that process our own deer...........not so simple I guess.

Let's say 10,000 deer are looked checked at processors, of that number it is found that 9,000 were reported and 1,000 weren't. So, 10% of the deer being shot aren't being reported, and for every 9 deer that are called into DECALS, one more is assumed to go unreported and is added to the tally.
That is EXTREMELY innacurrate when you consider all the variables..........especially if they are using such a small sample and extrapolating it out to cover the entire herd. The percent error has to be +or-25% at least.

As far as what you are saying about seeing deer where you hunt over the last 17 years... habitat changes. As the habitat changes the deer move around.
I hunt thousands of acres of state forest in 3 counties..........last year I hunted 5 counties covering 180 miles apart. The woods I hunt haven't changed at all, no developements, same farms, same crops, same creeks, same everything including less deer.

Sorry but the DEC isn't concerned with making sure that you always see the same number of deer on whatever piece of land you happen to hunt, that just isn't realistic.
Well, they damn well should be!!!! Considering I hunt over 7,000 acres of THEIR state forest that THEY are supposed to be taking care of. What the hell ARE they worried about???..........deer eating people's bushes in the burbs??

Now, if suddenly all the deer were disappearing from an entire WMU, that would be something that the DEC would act on.
Glad to see an entire WMU has to get wiped clean in a flash for them to realize they have a problem. I guess 9 out of 10 hunters saying they aren't seeing good deer numbers isn't good enough for them.

Here's the thing, and try not to take this personally, every hunter thinks he's an expert on deer and knows exactly what should be done about managing them. It's a really arrogant position to have, and is quite offensive to those who actually went to school and earned a degree in the wildlife field, many of whom are also hunters I might add. Apparently all that money we spent on our education was a waste, we could have just climbed into a deer stand for a few years and then we would know all the secrets of the natural world.
BLAH BLAH BLAH.............I have more degrees then I can shake a stick at........you know what that means??? NOTHING. Not if they aren't backed up by proper actions........which is something the NYDEC has yet to show me.

Did you even notice that you followed your "arrogant position" statement with one of your own dismissing the value of decades of first hand experience in the woods as if it were meaningless because it didn't come from a book at a University?? You may want to watch that in the future as it really tarnishes your scoldings

Imagine if I showed up where you work and started telling you how you didn't know what the hell you were doing and how I was so much smarter than you, and how I could do your job so much better... would that piss you off? I think it would, and it should.
Not if you and the vast majority of people just like you had valid claims based on first hand knowledgable experiences.

Your problem is being to quick with the "crackpot" label. You should try and listen first BEFORE dismissing people as idiots because they aren't wearing a ranger patch.

The majority of people at the DEC are well educated professionals who have worked hard to get where they are and they know what they are doing.
Then why are we told every year that the herd is growing and growing yet that isn't what hunters are seeing in the field?? BTW 90% of DEC officers I have met are just wanna be cops/troopers. The local officer by my brothers house just got fired for poaching []

Of course none of this means anything because I'm "in" on the mass conspiracy by the DEC to do in hunters and ruin hunting.
It's not about ruining hunting..........it's about money just like everything else. The DEC does it's best to tell everybody out there, hunters or not exactly what they want to hear so the money keeps rolling in to the state. The herd is growing, deer-car accidents are down, crop damage is up, forests are thriving, and on and on.

One or two more years like this past year and the DEC will go public with something to ease the minds of all these guys not seeing deer like they used to.........they will have to because people are not gonna accept seasons like that for very long.

Quick Reply: DEC has it figured out!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.