Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 White tail hunting in Maine >

White tail hunting in Maine

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

White tail hunting in Maine

Old 02-28-2004, 08:46 AM

Default White tail hunting in Maine

Has anyone been to Maine white tail hunting? How was the hunting?
Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: White tail hunting in Maine

i deer hunted there once and my take on it is that its tough going compared to hunting new jersey. from what ive read your best chances are the central and southeren parts of the state. theres more farms and such i guess. i hunted the north and west part of the state which is a different game. the good thing is that you can get a weeks hunt semi guided for something like 450$ and up with meals (sometimes) and lodging. success is low and the weather is harsh. you really have to open to the idea of tracking the deer. the deer arent everywhere like home. my first couple days i couldnt figure out why the guides got so excited to see a couple tracks. they seem to yard up or travel to feeding areas and bounce around alot. i went during thanksgiving week and i hunted in 15 degree weather and several inches of snow. some say you cant distinguish the difference between buck and doe tracks but up in maine a 4 point buck can be over 200 lbs. it seems if you do see one it will be a monster at least in body. i would say if your not hunting the farm country of maine get a guide and see if he will track for you or at least show you the ropes.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Spike

Take a swing over to this site and post up...

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...p?showforum=83
Old 02-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Hunt there every year in between other hunts.. Big Bucks BUT very tough. This past year I thought I was in heaven..first 1/2 hr I still hunted into 2 does and thought to myself what a great start..wrong..Hunted real hard for 5 days and only saw 2 more does..Ran into about 5 Moose..Out of 3 hunters in our camp the first week I was the one that saw the most.. I say any place you can hunt tough or not you should go for it. It makes you a well rounded hunter. Bottom line Maine is Tough!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:50 PM

Yea, bring a good novel.Very big deer in them woods.Deer are few and far between,if you get one it will probably be a doozy.Im going northern Maine in August for a Bear hunt,cant wait.I wont deer hunt there anymore.
I have a great Bear and Deer guide if you are interested.He lives in jersey and has his own outfitter business in Maine.He`s my good friend`s --good friend.This guy killed the state record whitetail,just to beat his own record 2 years later.
Good Luck
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM

I have a camp in central maine and hunt deer every year. I have yet to see the pig I am after, however I have had several chances at a doe over the years. It is hard hunting, lots of big thick woods, but when you do get one chances are it will be a monster.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:26 PM

The deer are few and far between up here. You really need to know whare to go and be ready to hunt the hardest in some of the worst weather. The pay off is usually pretty good.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:15 AM

I live here in central Maine, nice very small rural town down the road a couple miles where 200-300 deer are tagged each year. There are usually only 2 or 3 bucks that will top 200 pounds out of about 300. I would like to know where all those 200 pound 4 pointers are. My buddies and I shoot deer every year, 4 and 6 pointers weigh about 160 on the hoof, and this is a farming community where the deer get all the corn they want. I think all those 200 lb plus deer are more myth than truth. Granted, there are some that get shot each year and make the newspapers and magazines, but we're talking about a very small percentage here guys. From 1984 and before that, I lived in OHIO, I saw MANY more 200 pounders down there.

Grass is always greener...........

Edited to add- if you want the best shot at a 200 pund plus deer, you want to hunt in Aroostook County, known around here as "The County" because it is about one third of the whole state. Problem is, that there aren't that many deer up there, but they are considerably bigger if you do find one.
Around here, there are a lot of deer, but almost all of the land is posted. If you aren't related or a close friend, don't waste your time asking for permission. POSTED
Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Elmer
Do you have an idea of the area you would like to go? Can you stay with someone?
I can give you some ideas if you give me some more info
Old 03-03-2004, 10:37 PM

I have hunted in Maine off and on for 20 yrs, about 9 hunting seasons, some along the coast and the rest just SW of Rangely. So far only two deer the first about 190lbs 8 points the second 2002 204lbs and 5points every year I have seen at least one deer but I havn't gotten many shots. I have hunted in weather from -20 to 60. In the big woods I have never had any luck with hunting from stands, the deer don't seem to set up in patterns like they do near farm lands. The only luck I have had even seeing them is by still-hunting or tracking

Quick Reply: White tail hunting in Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.